Page 54 of 57 FirstFirst ... 4445253545556 ... LastLast

Thread: mr b's comeback

New AM hilly training route yesterday, just when i thought the 'Two Dales' format couldn't yeild any more climb, i find a 8.3m/2620' offering. Normally you have to get the milage into double figures to get above 2500' in the dales. I like it more because it starts with a steady jog up the eastern side of wharfedale from kettlewell to starbotton, which warms you up nicely for the 1000' climb over old cote moor. It was unbelievably sticky and hot in the woods heading up out of starbotton, but very fresh on the summits. You could see the trout swimming about in the river at arncliffe.
    Can't climb for toffee...

Carr Bridge Drive reps tonight, 0.25m/ 110', 6 reps.

After the third rep i decided to have a run up to the water tower, about 1m/250'. I don't know whether this was a good idea from a training standpoint, but i found that it broke my rhythm and screwed up my flow on the remaining 3 interval reps a bit. I ran strongly all the way and was blowing hard, the 1m jog back down was a drag.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post

I've ordered some of this Chinese kung fu rubbing ointment for my old bones. It comes highly recommended in kung fu mastery books and will sort you out after a hard session punching tree trunks.

I intend to be disrespectful to Chi blockages and stagnation, and apply the Shaolin special sauce liberally with utmost honour to the ancient wisdom. I will banish my stiffness and shame to the land of wind and ghosts.
    A bottle of Dit Da Jow massage oil has now been purchased, and will be presented to my wife on her birthday (this Saturday). She frequently complains about all the aches and pains that she gets from playing tennis. She also knows about and admires the skills of the Shaolin monks.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

9m speed endurance yesterday, an ACW lap of Thruscross starting at the Swinsty car park. I was plagued by negative emotions and self-defeating thinking due to an uncomfortable conversation the previous day; i set off too fast and faded quite early. I wasn't really able to give the session my full attention and never got into that flow state.

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    A bottle of Dit Da Jow massage oil has now been purchased, and will be presented to my wife on her birthday (this Saturday). She frequently complains about all the aches and pains that she gets from playing tennis. She also knows about and admires the skills of the Shaolin monks.
    I've recently used it on my back. I soaked a piece of kitchen roll and cling filmed it on, and left it for an hour or so.

5k fartlek tonight in the local woods which, thankfully, have fully dried out completely. I don't like warm weather, it's harder to get going because you feel sweltered after a hot day in fireproof demin and just want to go to sleep. I'm not sure if i want to go to some obscure little old pal's race called shriggleby stag or just go AM hill training this weekend.

8.5m/2630' AM hills route from Kettlewell today. I ran the whole thousand feet out of Starbotton up to Old Cote Moor, i felt like a challenge. There was a pair of dippers diving in the Skirfare at Arncliffe when i stopped for a drink. I like this route better than the old one over this area, the warmup leg out to Starbotton sets you up nicely for the climb, wheras the old route was steep right from the off. I've found a much improved route from the south corner fell gate on Middlesmoor pasutre to the crag notch above Kettlewell.

80 or so entrants for the Thurlstone chase next weekend, and the start is in waves of 6 so i won't be able to settle into a group near the front.

My next race starts with a 1000' climb in a mile, right from the start line. I've been doing hill reps on a hill of half the distance and climb. Banking on 12-15mins on the day. Don't want to blow my load too early as there's another 3000' of tussocky climbing over the rest of the race.

[QUOTE=Travs;674784]My next race starts with a 1000' climb in a mile, right from the start line.

So does mine Travs!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

[QUOTE=Llani Boy;674787]
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    My next race starts with a 1000' climb in a mile, right from the start line.

So does mine Travs!
    Well i've just checked and you're not in the same one as me!

I've been doing my half mile/550ft climb reps in 6:30-7mins in training. So i figure given some race adrenaline, i'll keep up that sort of pace for the full mile, even with the thought of three more 1000ft climbs to follow.
    Last edited by Travs; 30-06-2021 at 03:59 PM.