Page 55 of 131 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765105 ... LastLast

Thread: mr b's comeback

Thurlstone begins with 1.2m'350' up a track. This will be a joke as it's going to be a random selection staggered start so you'll have nobody to hang onto and pace you. All i can think of is to fire off a few nasty intervals and practice the pacing, just to get you comfortable going really hard and give you an idea of how fast you ought to be going. Too fast, and 10mins into the race you'll be hitting the wall with the delayed effects of O2 debt and your race might as well be over. This is probably the most critical race of my 50@50.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    But isn't that the whole point of racing, (any racing for that matter), by skilfully judging your effort in such a way that you get around the course in the fastest time possible - regardless of those around you who might be fast starters or doing a negative split?
    This is a good point, but there is absolutely no doubt that mass-start racing gives an extra edge.

I raced a track 1500m in April. I was probably in 4:55-4:57 shape even if i'd ran a time trial. But the race edge, and the final 600mtrs toe-to-toe with us both ramping the pace and being equally matched, pushed us both on... i finished in 4:45

Without that battle i'd never have ran that on my own.

Can also relate it to fellracing...

Last year i ran Four Fans in a staggered start time trial. In fact there were no allocated starts, just a 2hr window in which to start. I was in better shape than 2019, and indeed i "won" the time trial, and finished in 2:26... i'd been running right on what i thought was "the edge", as i knew i should be capable of winning given the opposition.

In 2019, i spent the entire race chasing as hard as possible to make up for a minor route error. On the final climb there were 3 guys coming back to me and i flogged it up there to take them and put in a gap before the descent.

End result 2:21, on my first time round the course, and arguably not in as good shape as when i ran 2:26

Full on racing just gives you an edge.
    Last edited by Travs; 01-07-2021 at 06:51 PM.

Nothing wrong with a little difference in opinions!!

I'm certainly able to push equally hard in training on my own.

Racing though... it's just different to me. Although everybody is different in the personality and characteristics... my coach would always put me on first leg in the XC/Road Relays where possible, as he said i was a "racer" and needed that competition to get the best out of me... Perhaps doesn't happen quite so much now though.

Evidently from your history and strategy of racing, it's a different case...

Well Saint Saviour be praised, they opted for a mass start! I turned up full of co-codamol and trepidation due to a spike in back problems that caused me to miss training on Thursday night. The chiropractor sorted it out a bit on Friday and got the vertebrae unlocked and moving again, but the muscles were sore and tight. I couldn't get my hamstrings loosened up, though, they were like banjo strings.

It was a loaded field considering the fact that it was a low key local xc, there were some quick looking racing snakes warming up. I'd planned to hang onto the first lady, but she was too fast, u23 track runner by the looks of it. I couldn't get up the bridleway quick enough and I was back in about 15th by the road, but people didn't have my flat speed so I'd pulled back about 4 places by the time we hit the third mile. There were no useful descents. The rest of the race was a battle with the guy in front of me, he left me on the aggravating uphill finish and I didn't get chance to sprint him for the line. I passed him at the bottom of the final climb hoping he'd give up, but he didn't!

I like playing those sorts of mind games with people. Your central governor is always looking for an excuse to make you slow down and stop the torture. Sometimes if someone thinks you've got more in the tank than them, they quit racing you and let you go. Not this guy though, all credit to him.

I like the odd mind-game along similar lines.

Creeping up on someone on a tough climb "awful climb this one, i'm f*$%*d...",
    ...then breaking into a run...

My game of choice!!

50m on the bike today, up to The Craven Arms and back. Expecting rain i took the winter bike and an OMM smock, and half way down my third pint the weather started its march up Wharfedale. The sky went grey and claps of thunder began, when dogs got up and started walking off i decided it was time to get going. I rode into the teeth of a thunder storm near Howgill, the lane turned to a river and there was all sorts of crap getting washed down. A wet ride all the way back to Leeds.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Carr Bridge Drive reps tonight, 0.25m/110', 6 reps but I lost count.

My left itb is sore from racing with a nasty back condition last weekend, it felt sore in warm-up but backed off a bit once I'd warmed up. I'd have liked to have done more reps really, but I've got to be sensible.

No running this weekend, this left itb soreness needs to clear ready for alderman's next weekend.

51m ride to the craven arms and back today, including a very eventful detour adding the extra mile. Please see today's bike ride for full details.

Carr Bridge Drive reps tonight, 0.25m/110', 10 reps... first time into double figures, it got pretty heavy going at about 8 in this heat.

Just seen an Aussie guy dig up a really big gold nugget on the TV. If you think of the biggest potato you've ever seen, it was about like that. 200,000 Aussie dollars in value.