Page 58 of 65 FirstFirst ... 8485657585960 ... LastLast

Thread: mr b's comeback

I could feel crowden in my legs this morning as I set off in the drizzle for a 50m craven arms and back. I encountered a shower so heavy in addingham that one of the street lights came on. The rain drenched my computer, but I think I managed a 16mph average.

More shit, back spasm at work on thursday, had to go home- i'd only been there half an hour. Couldn't do Pendleton today, the soreness is quite bad in the mornings, i'm going to have to keep my powder dry for Bootle Show. I did manage to get out for 5 Cragg Hill Drive reps this afternoon when i felt looser, but it was a bit of a disaster. The fifth and final rep was over 2mins, i felt really bogged down and flat as a fart.

It's been pointed out to me that this month long back episode coincided with my second covid jab, from which i got a horrible reaction. It's been suggested that all my inflammatory conditions have responded, not just my immune response. Apparently i'm not the only one having trouble.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Ran at Bootle show today, 7.8m 2050'. Whenever I turn up at a race recently, I know I'm slow because of having to back off full training. I don't really get into the swing of it and never find myself in that flow state where performance is effortless. It's a bit of a bummer really. I picked a few places up on the way down, but staggered over the line tbh.

This is shit. I woke up on tuesday morning with a nasty pain in the peroneal tendon termination on the side of my left foot, for no reason at all really. I don't know how it got there or when it plans to leave, it's a little bit like being visited by an alien spacecraft. The chiropractor reset my foot, but it's a stubborn one and it threatens to derail some key races in [email protected] Its alright when injuries have a detectable pathology, but this is a mystery. I feel very depressed.

Sorry to hear that... hope to see you at Dufton tomorrow if you're still racing.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Sorry to hear that... hope to see you at Dufton tomorrow if you're still racing.
    I phoned Morgan and told him he could substitute my entry, it wasn't going to happen. I used to cross my fingers and not let injury hold me back, but i'm not that guy any longer, it was painful being that guy and it took a long time to learn.

Went for the 9m speed endurance route today, ACW loop of Thruscross starting and finishing at Swinsty car park, but walked in at 7m. I could feel everything starting to strain a bit and i'd had a fairly good run up to that point. My leg speed is gone, i'm slow as hell and blowing quite a lot. You need the fast rate of cadence to get right up there into the red zone, you have to have quick legs and mine are slow.

I've discovered that Dit Da Jow is quite effective on this foot problem, i've managed to get it under control somewhat. Soak a half piece of kitchen towel in it and compress it on by wrapping cling film round the foot.

I hadn't seen you around at the start but wondered if i'd just missed you.

There were a couple of really hairy descents and i was half-expecting you to come flying past at any minute!

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    I hadn't seen you around at the start but wondered if i'd just missed you.

There were a couple of really hairy descents and i was half-expecting you to come flying past at any minute!
    I don't think i'd have caught you, the climbs would have been too big. The drop off Brownber Hill looked hairy, with all the tips and levels everywhere it had all the hallmarks of a rocky nightmare.

Well, on thursday i showed this mystery foot maladie to the Podiatrist i'm doing gait work with, and he ragged it about a bit and did a round of fascia manipulations up my left leg. It seems to have given it a boost. He was rather unapproving of my years old x-talons that i run the streets in, saying they were totally knackered. When i told him i was planning to get them resoled by LSR he was horrified, and assured me the foam was dead and i'd be risking injury by doing that. He said i should get my hand in my pocket and buy some new shoes, so i did, i've got a pair of discounted f-lites for tarmac and upgraded my good talons to general trail running. I asked him if he had any advice on training milage going forward, and he said his advice is to start taking his advice.

A laboured and heavy feeling run up Rivington Pike today, 3.2m/700'. It took me 2h15m to get there because of the state of the motorways, and i didn't have time to de-stress and gather my thoughts, so i think i had a shit run. Traffic was crawling all the way from Ainley Top to J18 with the billboards assuring us that there were animals on the roads. Guess what, there weren't. I think some dick spotted a sheep close to the armco on Rishworth Moor and reported it in as a major accident hazard. Tindersticks got away from me at the start which is a sign i have no leg speed...still. It'll be a bad day for all [email protected]'ers too judging by the blinder that Dan Haworth had. I went so deep in the last 100 that officials started crowding me at the finish thinking i was going to collapse; telling me to breath deeper and slower etc. I felt a bit dizzy.

9m speed endurance today, ACW lap of Thruscross starting and finishing at Swinsty car park. My foot was hurting a bit by the end, but if i'm to have a chance of getting to Cronkley i need to push on.