Page 66 of 131 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876116 ... LastLast

Thread: mr b's comeback

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    I see on the Run Britain site that your parkrun pb is 19:02....

That is decent....
    19.04, Woodhouse moor. I didn't know I was on it, I haven't opened an account.

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    19.04, Woodhouse moor. I didn't know I was on it, I haven't opened an account.
    When you register with a club which is affiliated to EA/UKA, you automatically go on it... can search back all your results and it gives you your ranking in your postcode area, within your club, and nationally...

Unfortunately it doesn't take into account fell races...! only road/track/xc/parkrun

Sheesh, Orwell was spot on

8 walking hill reps of Elbolton Hill big end today, 2000' total, prep for wansfell. The inversion layer made for great views from the top, and the valleys were heavily haw frosted in places.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Master
    8 walking hill reps of Elbolton Hill big end today, 2000' total, prep for wansfell. The inversion layer made for great views from the top, and the valleys were heavily haw frosted in places.
    Sounds like excellent preparation for the Wansfell steps - 1,000 feet of up in 0.6 of a mile from the kissing gate. The boys and girls at the sharp end run up them of course.

Had my booster this morning so thought I'd better squeeze some more hill training in before I start shivering.

2x 0.2m/250', elbolton big end
    1x 0.45m/325', up to ravens crag on the bridle path out of Thorpe.
    2x 0.2m/250'
    1x 0.45m/325'
    2x 0.2m/250'

Total 2.1m/2150', cold and drizzly

50m ride to the craven Arms and back today, where i was positively identified by a local resident as, "that guy on the bike who rides all the way up just for the canapes", or something like that. Didn't have any mulled wine, but downed 3 pints and gorged myself on canapes.

Weather was awful riding out of Leeds, sleet, rain and wind. The cold headwind blowing up the valley on the way back wasn't great either.

Wansfell today, 2.1m/1350'. I'm a bit confused as why i did so poorly today; my pb is 27.13, but today i ran 29.45, any slower and i'll be over half an hour! My pb will have been off the back of a bofra season and umpteen other short races, does this pattern set you up well for Wansfell? I've spent the year running mediums, and mainly cat b as a rule, and i've started to get pretty good results, but should i expect such awful results at races such as Wansfell? Is this a training issue, or am i missing something, like some of my v02 max to a cold?

I'm no expert, but i wouldn't think it is anything more complex than what you first hint at.... a season of BOFRA races would set you up perfectly for Wansfell...

I experienced similar last weekend at Callow... hadn't raced on the fells since late september, and hadn't done anything vaguely similar in distance /climb since the British Champs one-off at Dufton in early Sept... didn't run poorly, but was a way off where i would have liked to be, particularly on the steep climbs... my training mileage has been good and i felt fresh, but didn't have that "race sharpness" for a short, brutal hour of nothing but steep climbs and descents.

Master
    Wansfell today, 2.1m/1350'. I'm a bit confused as why i did so poorly today; my pb is 27.13, but today i ran 29.45, any slower and i'll be over half an hour! My pb will have been off the back of a bofra season and umpteen other short races, does this pattern set you up well for Wansfell? I've spent the year running mediums, and mainly cat b as a rule, and i've started to get pretty good results, but should i expect such awful results at races such as Wansfell? Is this a training issue, or am i missing something, like some of my v02 max to a cold?
    I have done the race three times, but the route - hundreds of times. My PB is 33.39 when I was 60.

29.45 sounds pretty good to me. Well done.