Page 74 of 131 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684124 ... LastLast

Thread: mr b's comeback

I've seen differences of nearly 100 between LBs Garmin 35 and my oximeter. I've got quite bony wrists, and this is reputed not to help.

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    I've seen differences of nearly 100 between LBs Garmin 35 and my oximeter. I've got quite bony wrists, and this is reputed not to help.
    I've also got bony wrists, but I don't have an oximeter so can't do Garmin v oximeter v Polar tests

My opinion is that if you want a high level of accuracy, then you need a device with a chest strap

A circuit of Thruscross reservoir starting and finishing at Swinsty car park, a 9m route i'm used to running at 10k pace, but steady today. Nose breathing seems a good technique to keep my pace in zone 2, any faster and you're using your mouth. Awful weather, i didn't really warm up properly and ended up with a problematic pinching pain on the outside of my left ankle. 9m/650' ish.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

5m with Horsforth Harriers last night, a slow group, warmup speed for me.

A fairly productive session tonight, i put a lot of effort into well controlled breathing and just letting my legs do their thing. Dispite taking less breaths overall my times were better that they've been in a long while, and the percieved level of exertion was 10% below what it normally is.

Tinshill Lane rep, 1x 0.7m/240', 4.48
    Carr Bridge Drive reps, 4x 0.25m/110', 1.47, 1.49, 1.52, 1.55

KWL Sallows race today, 6m 1360'. There have probably been wetter races, but I've not seen one. There was nowhere that wasn't drenched, the tracks were torrents, the fells were stodge, blocked roads, ran out of petrol trying to get round flooded roads. I ran ok, annoyingly that Raymond guy stormed past me again, but I didn't spend the race going backwards.

There was a guy there from Nepal, he lives at 4000m back home, he was very good on the rough stuff

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    KWL Sallows race today, 6m 1360'. There have probably been wetter races, but I've not seen one. There was nowhere that wasn't drenched, the tracks were torrents, the fells were stodge, blocked roads, ran out of petrol trying to get round flooded roads. I ran ok, annoyingly that Raymond guy stormed past me again, but I didn't spend the race going backwards.

There was a guy there from Nepal, he lives at 4000m back home, he was very good on the rough stuff
    Well done. Given how wet it was on and around Loughrigg I am surprised this race was not cancelled. When it is raining like it was yesterday getting home from a run/race can be very different from getting there in the first place.

Ran up to pilates tonight, even though i wasn't booked on! 1m/150'

I was thinking on the way up how much get-up-and-go i've lost in my running and training since having post-viral respiratory problems. I'm really flat mentally, more so than aerobically possibly, my lungs are becoming better and better, but my head is still well out of the game. I've totally lost my focus and i don't have that sharpness and racing edge any longer, i can feel that it's missing. I've only done one race since backing off it a bit to focus on steadier stuff, but i'm finding it hard to get out and get going and i'm concerned i might not get that racer's snarl and tenacity back again.

Any advice?

Only advice i can offer is to set a target.

You were obviously focused last year on the FRA50.

So something this year would give you something to aim for.

In 2020 all plans went kaput, which was hard for everyone i guess. This year it's my first v40 in the English Champs, so working towards that, and hopefully sub-3hr at Stretton Skyline in September.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Only advice i can offer is to set a target.
    Very business-like! This sets up a win/fail duality though. I'd like to reconcile with my own feelings really.