Page 8 of 131 FirstFirst ... 6789101858108 ... LastLast

Thread: mr b's comeback

Todays run, Little Whernside 5.9m/1130' (ACW), feral...a right arse kicking TBH.

routemap9.jpg

routeprofile9.jpg

Well that was a bit harder than it looked on paper; predominantly pathless with fairly challenging decents, difficult to pick up downhill speed because of the nature of the ground. Knee deep bogs on the ridge. Walked it a couple of years ago at least as a recce for a potential race route, thought i remembered a keeper's trod off Little Whernside, but it was little more than a rabbit run. Not so rough on the lower slopes, but the trods kept on disappearing and leaving you crashing through reedbeds. Couldn't switch off for a second, probably a route for later on as my right knee started giving me grief.

Mist was rolling up out of Coverdale as i paused on Dead Man's Hill to wonder what i'd let myself in for; it was so still and quiet you could have heard a pin drop, makes a change from the driving rain and biting winds i know that ridge for. I'm going to go back and have another go at it in a year or so; hopefully with better fitness and joint stability i won't get the course handing me my arse on a platter.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Super Moderator
    I took the missus over that way the first day we met. The area between the head of Nidderdale and Wharfedale is pretty wild
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    I took the missus over that way the first day we met. The area between the head of Nidderdale and Wharfedale is pretty wild
    The fells are average height and nicely rolling, but the going underfoot is rough and my ankles were taking a pounding. It's an area that has escaped public attention through not being in the National Park, the cafe/bunk barn at Scar House is open one year and closed the next. Dropped a bollock with my choice of ale house post-run; went for the Bridge Inn, but the choice of beer was bleak with it being out of season. Had to settle for a Theakston's. The Crown at Middlesmoor should have been my choice, but it's often hard to get in by the fire because of all the keepers/shoots that go in...and when you've got a wet arse that needs a drying out you need a fire.
    Last edited by mr brightside; 16-11-2014 at 08:29 PM.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    The fells are average height and nicely rolling, but the going underfoot is rough and my ankles were taking a pounding. It's an area that has escaped public attention through not being in the National Park, the cafe/bunk barn at Scar House is open one year and closed the next. Dropped a bollock with my choice of ale house post-run; went for the Bridge Inn, but the choice of beer was bleak with it being out of season. Had to settle for a Theakston's. The Crown at Middlesmoor should have been my choice, but it's often hard to get in by the fire because of all the keepers/shoots that go in...and when you've got a wet arse that needs a drying out you need a fire.
    It would make prime MM training ground. Finding spectacular scenery with good running away from honeypots is a prime outdoor skill imo
    Poacher turned game-keeper

If i make it out this weekend it will be 7 consecutive weeks, which is the longest i've gone so far. There is little i can do with the Chondromalacia Patella to aid recovery apart from trying to keep going, but i'm responding very well to VMO and Glutes Med. recruitment exercises. The lateral side of my knee used to burn like it was on fire for days after a run, but now i suffer very little discomfort. I know my left leg is still doing more work because it has worse DOMS afterwards; i'm guessing i've developed a subconscious bias, this is probably reversible with some drills but it's too early to be sure. I'd like to to a timed run around The Strid Wood trail next w/e and set a benchmark time to go back to periodically; my knees will also thank me for an easy weekend for a change. I could do with a soaking wet day so i don't get caught by the hoardes of walkers.

Whoops, turned my ankle again, not too badly but there's no such thing as a good turned ankle. Another of those nicely rounded, weathered ones peeping out of the floor that Gritstone areas are famous for and that i keep finding. It was on the Strid Wood trail; there's a few of them and they get harder to spot when the leaves start falling, you also get complacent when you've run a trail as often as i've done Strid Wood. Won't know how bad it is for a few days, but it looks like no running for at least one session.

Today's run, Strid Wood 5m/650' very runnable.

Start and finish at cafe gate, left bank up to Barden Tower Bridge high path back on right bank. Timed run coming in at 35.07, will be coming back to it periodically to assess increases in fitness and to get better at watching for sprained ankle rocks. Looking to take minutes off not seconds, i'd like to get below half an hour ideally, but that won't happen for a few years yet.

Luke, I don't know whether to laugh or cry for you? You are certainly one of the most determined, hard nosed "feck it" all bar stewards I have ever had the pleasure of reading about on this forum. You give me the strength to continue to keep trying to run again, whatever injuries may throw at you, whatever life's evil injury "pixies" connive about you(???) and whatever new obstacles and setbacks confront you. When you think a year out from running would see you off, you come back with a "comeback" page. You are an inspiration and please do not stop posting. Thank you.
    Gala pie-its the future

Cheers Rachel. I've been off more than a year though, the last time i was properly fit was when i did the relays in 2011, this is the 3rd restart attempt since then. You just have to remember that you can't cheat your way out of the time it takes to recover from whatever it is, and that the more you rush the longer it takes. Giving up trying to 'run through' an injury is one of the hardest but most important learning curves.

Todays ride- Storiths-Burnsall-Linton-Grassington-Hebden-Fancarl top-Skyreholme-Storiths. 21m/2450'

Had to opt for a ride this week due to my rolled ankle. Took the Raleigh, but didn't want to, ended up with it splattered in black cr@p off the lanes around Wharfedale...all my brightwork will need some rebrightening.

I'm definitely getting fitter, there is a big difference in how much oomph it takes to get up to Fancarl Top compared to when i last did this ride 3 months ago. My legs still sting a bit but i don't reach VO2max, probably get to about 80% of it, wheras before it took a herculean effort to keep the pedals turning in what felt like oxygen debt. I'd not have found this out on any other bike, that hill and that bike are now standardised equipment.

Disappointing ale choice in The Fountaine Inn, it might be time for another of my comments about the ditching of Fountaine Pale; even the Bridestones Pennine Gold has been substituted for Hetton Pale...which didn't really do the trick and had to be supplemented with electrolyte.

Cycling is worse on my knees than running...how does that work...