Page 86 of 131 FirstFirst ... 3676848586878896 ... LastLast

Thread: mr b's comeback

The concern over increasing easy running is that i have very small joints and a normal sized body. Obviously if i'm elite level i can only expect a few rotations before i'm superseded by new guys coming in, but as an amateur i ought to consider a bigger, more long-term picture. The threat is that i wear my knees, ankles, and hips out to the point where i'm goosed at about V60. I have plica syndrome in both knees which affects my cycling, but this can be rectified with surgery at some point, a thinned out meniscus or worn out hip is basically game over.

The only realistic long term strategy for a better aerobic base is to cycle more, i have no chance of winning anything so there isn't even any payback for more running and subsequently more joint wear.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

8m very easy pace with Horsforth Harriers last night, i like the slower groups, the craic is better. Slow running always seems to give me lateral knee pain, though.

51m on the bike for this week, very wet ride in this morning i'm going to need a spare socks system. Nearly got swiped off last night by a left turner peeling across the bike lane.

training2.jpg

Another adjustment to my 4wk plan, the addition of a friday hill ride on build weeks. I think if i'm going to partake then i'll need to build into this bit by bit, starting with the 3 rides into work, get them going comfortably first. The friday hill rides will be the last to get added.

The totals are at the bottom too, my monthly running milage is about what travs does in a week, and the bike miles are through the roof by comparison. Anyone care to comment?

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    training2.jpg

Another adjustment to my 4wk plan, the addition of a friday hill ride on build weeks. I think if i'm going to partake then i'll need to build into this bit by bit, starting with the 3 rides into work, get them going comfortably first. The friday hill rides will be the last to get added.

The totals are at the bottom too, my monthly running milage is about what travs does in a week, and the bike miles are through the roof by comparison. Anyone care to comment?
    Looks a lot like my last 10 years of running training

If you take off the cycling for a moment, then it's running Tuesday, Thursday and then Saturday or Sunday (sometimes both). This gives a day off from running after every session

For those people who have serious mechanical issues then this is probably the best approach; this is a running career preservation strategy, with plenty of rest and mixed training. With the benefits of hindsight, experience, and consultant surgeon's words ringing in my ears, I feel I managed to wring out 10 years extra of running, (that I was no way entitled to) by following something similar

On the point of mileage, and percentage running, it's worth pointing out that running mileage counts higher and you're Tuesday 7m is probably about equivalent of cycling 17m

I've come to the realisation that i can't cycle 3 days on the trot to work, my right knee just feels a bit fat and a bit sore and i'm using anti inflammatory a lot. This is odd because the 50m to the Craven Arms in one go is not an issue, but when you break it down into 3 consecutive days it suddenly becomes problematic.

training3.jpg

I've altered my plan slightly to limit to only 2 days of consecutive bike rides, which means losing the nasty hill ride on friday so significantly less ascent overall. Cycling in the saddle is what irritates my knee, so if i lived in a hillier area i could just structure a hill ride where i'm out of the saddle all the time which would lessen the problem. Round here, as GB will testify, you're interspersing the hills with a lot of flat sections. I might pick this pattern up starting next week, that being the first week in August, and see how far i get.

I've turned myself over to the NHS to see if they can work out why my lungs are producing phlegm; I'm still over 5% down on my normal VO2 max. I've had a blood test and have a chest x-ray booked for august.

7.5m/1490' today up on craven moor today, setting off from skyreholme. A trial of this running steady I'm going to be doing a lot of from now on. I worked out if I can nose breathe I'm probably going slowly enough, but I ran quick on the descents. Saw a hare, two wrens in a wall, a heron and half a dozen or so small brown trout.

After the England women's result tonight, I don't think I've ever felt more proud, the scenes were breathtaking.

6m with Horsforth harriers tonight, steady pace and multi terrain. Kirkstall harriers joined us for a social say hello run evening, there was a gorgeous woman from Lithuania, but she's probably got a tight t shirt wearing boyfriend with more hair than me.

5k fartlek session tonight. It helped climbing off the bike after riding home and getting straight into this after a bit of hydration, i went in warmed up. Haven't done this post covid, my chest was wheezy and clogged with phlegm which made breathing a bit restricted.

Leg 1- Warm up, linear uphill, 0.45m/116', easy
    Leg 2- Uphill, 0.26m/86', interval
    Leg 3- Downhill, 0.21m/-80', easy
    Leg 4- Undulating uphill, 0.4m/65', tempo increasing to interval pace
    Leg 5- Flat, 0.1m, easy
    Leg 6- Flat, 0.24m, tempo
    Leg 7- Downhill, 0.25m/-80', easy
    Leg 8- Uphill, 0.28m/80', hard increasing to interval pace
    Leg 9- Flat slow walk, 30mtrs
    Leg 10- Downhill, 0.18m/-85', fast
    Leg 11- Flat, 0.17m, moderate, below tempo
    Leg 12- Linear downhill, 0.26m/-73', tempo increasing to final 30mtr sprint

Another 3 dodgy rides into work this week, 51m. My right knee soreness is not really going, just stagnating, it's an inconvenient time for a full months layoff being the middle of summer, but this is probably whats needed.