Page 88 of 131 FirstFirst ... 3878868788899098 ... LastLast

Thread: mr b's comeback

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    A troublesome outing today at the Rusland 5; 5m/1000'. I went for the wrong race, the course didn't suit me, but i've got a plan for next time.

Arrive at the same time, but junk the 5m fell race and enter the 1.75m senior race at 2.45. Whilst i'm waiting i'll enter the 90m heats and hopefully the final, run the 800, and before the fell race run the 200.
    Really? You didn't write this from one of the clubs you used to go to, did you?

Running an 800m before a fell race is really asking for trouble. There are two main types of 800m runner: those who jog around the first 700m, only to produce a blistering last 100m, and those who don't have a strong sprint, so will run a fast first 700m to try to steal it from the fast finishers, so there is never a slow race. On top of this, there is the 'boxing-in' and the elbows and argy-bargy that goes on down the back straight where there are no officials to see it.

That said, the Rusland sports track is the only track i've ever seen with uphills, and the only one where you could easily crock and ankle on a hidden stone. They basically just mow a loop into a field, and a straight for the 90m sprint, the loop looked to be 200.
    My 'reward' for winning the 13 and under 800m at my school sports day was to run the 800m, for the School, at Belgrave. (That's Belgrave Comprehensive School, Tamworth, not Belgrade, Yugoslavia - as it was back then.) It was after school, and on the edge of the busy A5 so there was plenty of leaded petrol fumes to inhale.

What I remember most, however, is that the grass track had been painted onto the side of a hill that was around 1 in 10. And yes, you're ahead of me, the last 100m was all uphill.

The 800m is a really hard race at the best of times, but on a hilly grass track it should be treated with the upmost respect

The fell race is only 1.75m long, so it's not going to be that hard, and there's about 400' in it. I wouldn't expect any pushing and shoving at this level, though you'll see it a lot in the diamond league i know. With it being a 200m loop it has four times the bends so I won't be wanting to go the long way round many of them. I'd get at or near the front and see how long I could stay there for on the 800, as for the 200 I'd want to be the first person into turn 1.

The fell race is only 1.75m long, so it's not going to be that hard, and there's about 400' in it. I wouldn't expect any pushing and shoving at this level, though you'll see it a lot in the diamond league i know. With it being a 200m loop it has four times the bends so I won't be wanting to go the long way round many of them. I'd get at or near the front and see how long I could stay there for on the 800, as for the 200 I'd want to be the first person into turn 1.
    They're running a one lap 200m race, and not running in lanes?! And you want to run it? Now I am convinced you're back in one of your clubs consuming performance, and rational thinking, destroying substances.

This is deep $#!) 15mm cross country spikes territory, and not just for the grip. Even at the modest level I competed at I was on the receiving end of pushing, shoving, and a lot worse, on the road XC and track*. Imagine if they've had heavy rain! Now that would be worth seeing.

If you start the 800m at the front, unless they're not as good as you, as soon as things kick off, probably with 1 200m lap to go, you'll get swamped and boxed in. The fastest way to run the 800m is at level pace, which usually means starting at the back - Yuriy Borzakovskiy style. Any spikes in pace and you'll be deeply in the red, and won't recover from it at that speed.

* It gives me great pleasure to say I never experienced, or saw, any unsportsman-like behaviour in fell racing towards other competitors.

From what I saw, most of the runners were fell runners who had done quite a bit of running that day, including begining their campaign with the 5m fell race. I can prepare for an 800 by doing a few 900m sessions near me on a circular road, that way I can get a feel for my pacing. Thanks for the tip though, I will go for level pace when I return.
    Last edited by mr brightside; 22-08-2022 at 09:43 AM.

I've just looked at the Rusland Show website

https://ruslandshow.org/

You didn't mention that all the track events were handicap!

all pictures from ruslandshow.org

Looking at the picture on the right, I assume that the mowed area is the 200m 'track'. Looking at the tightness of the bend made me gasp; I think the only way you'll get around bends like this is to approach the bend in an imaginary lane 2, clip the apex and end up in the imaginary lane 2. On a 'track' such as this I don't think the usual, 'stay close to kerb to take the shortest distance' advice will be the best approach. Especially as it's a handicap race where you're likely to pick up runners in lane 1.

You didn't mention the prize list, either, at £30, £15 and £10 for first, second and third. Now I know why you want to do the 200m, 800m and the short fell race...

7.5m with horsforth harriers last night, very humid, sweat running off you all the time. Pace was easy, 3 steps per breath.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

High cup nick race today, 7.5m 1350', but my short cut turned it into 9m 2000'. I've been telling myself people like me found the northwest passage, it helps with the doms and nausea

5k fartlek last night, throat closed up a bit early on and i got a bit wheezey which made the hard legs a bit torturous. Some kids called me gay for wearing skins leggings, so i stood in front of them stroking my fruitbowl and they thought i was even more gay. You've got to bear in mind this was coming from a bunch of lads carrying handbags.

5.5m 900' today at blackshaw head gala. I went a bit harder on the runnable hills today, something that's been killing my races since I got the long COVID lung thing. I was able to work my legs to a burn without fatigue killing me a mile or so later. I held my place on the awful uphill 300' climb to the finish and placed 15th out of 80, which is about the best I've done post COVID.

6.9m/2220' today, basically the route of the Litton Birks Loop race, but with a drop off the other side into Wharfedale and back up. I ran the loop into Wharfedale the wrong way round, i'll descend on the open fell next time and come up the leisurely route up the bridle path.

I'm going to do this route a few times until i've got the descent into Litton nailed. There are a number of places where the path is actually quite a bad line, and zig zags enough to scrup off speed; a straighter line through the weeds would be faster. I'd quite like to become very familiar with this descent, as the Birks Loop race is a course which seems to play right into my wheelhouse.