Page 96 of 131 FirstFirst ... 46869495969798106 ... LastLast

Thread: mr b's comeback

I've restarted some light leg press work on the inclined press. 160kg pushed to near failure, one set after a good round of bodyweight good form squats to get the fluid moving in my knees. It would be nice to keep this up, it may prompt positive changes in my articular cartilage.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Very late back in on friday night and didn't get up for a parkrun.

fairy.jpg

routemap25.jpg

Full tour of the fairy hills today; see above if you can work it out. Snow lying on the hillsides made tough climbing and descending, the footpaths over the pasture were an inch thick in ice, basically glaciers, and the lane out of Thorpe was one half mile long glacier. It's a tough route in these conditions made tougher by blizzards on the tops, my calves were burning quite badly. The frozen ground was tricky, ankles always rolling off some frozen lump or other and there was precious little grip coming off the steep end of Elbolton into Thorpe. I'm getting my eye in for the KWL, it's a good prep route.

Looks like i've injured my right hamstring up near the pelvis, probably from skidding about on ice on sunday.

About 7m at zone 2 pace with horsforth harriers last night. The annual ginnels run, they were going for 82 ginnels in one outing, i hit my distance limit at 64 and bailed.

It looks like a short hiatus is going to be needed while this injury lessens a bit. Not a lot i can do other than sit on a hot water bottle and stretch regularly.

My hamstring injury is now sore at both ends, the lower end site of pain meaning that it's the lateral biceps femoris one that's strained. I managed a Bramley parkrun this morning without any problems, 20.40. I've run a minute quicker than that this year, times are still inconsistent. Should be fine for wansfell.

50m on the bike yesterday up to the craven arms and back for their xmas day canapes and social. Some guy with a really gorgeous daughter congratulated me on my third xmas day ride up, it's actually about my sixth, but it seems as though i'm starting to get recognised by the locals. I got my leg stroked by a woman in a santa costume which is the most fun i've had for over a decade, it's about as good as it gets for me these days.

My back started to hurt a lot on the way back and it's pretty bad right now. Both hamstrings are now tight, not just the injured one, and it's doing something with my lower back. Might not get to wansfell.

Wansfell race today, 3m/1350', couldn't get anywhere on the descent as it was simply too slippery; heel strikes took chunks out of the top, flat strikes skidded over it.

My hamstring is going to need less running doing on it, so I'm going to have to back off, it held up today but felt wrong. I knocked half a minute off last year's time, but lost a lot on the descent.

I wanted to get a parkrun in this morning, but i talked myself out of it. If i'm going out for a run it ought to be something less intensive for the short term, i'll probably be ok on hills as climbing doesn't really recruit the hamstrings. It's a pain having to be sensible like this, but i've learned the hard way on several previous occasions.

First session back in the gym this morning after over a week of resting the hamstring, i felt a bit weak and my quads were burning up faster than normal on the glutes kettlebell exercises. I strongly dislike the way xmas screws with my routines; gym, training, racing, even shopping, it will be nice to get back to a properly structured week of drills and exercises, but with less running. My hamstring is responding well to rest, it shouldn't be too long before it's consolidated itself enough to put up with most running activities.

I've got a 6m zone 2 run with horsforth harriers planned for tonight, should go ok.

I felt better on last nights 6m run. The pain as more of a dull ache than a sharp sting.