Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 43

Thread: 10 Top Tips for Fell Running

  1. #21
    Master XRunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Down south now
    Posts
    2,684

    Re: 10 Top Tips for Fell Runni

    Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post
    Learn to use a map and compass thingy.
    Quote Originally Posted by AJF View Post
    The map and compass is right, its you that is lost
    I often wonder how fell runners find out where there are just by using a map and compass after they have got lost in the clouds when the visibility is only a few feet around them and there are no distinguishing features in the landscape.
    Fox Avatar "Protected" by Hester Cox - Printmaker

  2. #22

    Re: 10 Top Tips for Fell Runni

    Quote Originally Posted by XRunner View Post
    I often wonder how fell runners find out where there are just by using a map and compass after they have got lost in the clouds when the visibility is only a few feet around them and there are no distinguishing features in the landscape.
    I think you need to go on a FRA navigation course

    Bill

  3. #23
    Master Stolly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Settle
    Posts
    6,553

    Re: 10 Top Tips for Fell Runni

    Another crucial tip.

    Go before you start





    Because if you don't, running, especially up and down hills and for long distances, sure as hell gets things moving.

  4. #24
    Headmaster Grouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,377

    Re: 10 Top Tips for Fell Runni

    Try out new carb drinks before using them in races or events, because they can get you going too...
    Tao begets one. One begets two. Two begets all things.

  5. #25
    alwaysinjured
    Guest

    Re: 10 Top Tips for Fell Runni

    Dont assume the runner just in front knows where he is going.
    (AKA most runners are lemmings)

    Dont assume the runner a long way in front is even part of your race.
    (AKA how several people end up at 3 shires on the langdale race)

    Dont assume that just because the runner in front has a compass, he knows how to use it. (AKA it could be desparation!)

  6. #26
    Master IainR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    NH, USA
    Posts
    6,098

    Re: 10 Top Tips for Fell Runni

    well the 10 we went for were in no particular order:

    1. Keep Navigation Simple
    2. Be Safe when out alone (descending/gear etc)
    3. Enjoy it
    4. Don't be intimidated, it isn't as hard as you think.
    5. Join a club (not essential but useful)
    6. How and what to eat
    7. Get racing
    8. Take your time, prepare to be fustrated, walk bits etc
    9. get kitted up, Road shoes are Ok, but fell shoes needed eventually
    10. Techniques, descending and ascending, no hard and fast rules, just general views.

  7. #27
    Master OneHillWonder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Derbyshire
    Posts
    7,541

    Re: 10 Top Tips for Fell Runni

    Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    well the 10 we went for were in no particular order:

    1. Keep Navigation Simple
    2. Be Safe when out alone (descending/gear etc)
    3. Enjoy it
    4. Don't be intimidated, it isn't as hard as you think.
    5. Join a club (not essential but useful)
    6. How and what to eat
    7. Get racing
    8. Take your time, prepare to be fustrated, walk bits etc
    9. get kitted up, Road shoes are Ok, but fell shoes needed eventually
    10. Techniques, descending and ascending, no hard and fast rules, just general views.
    Like 'em - good beginners tips them

  8. #28
    Master IainR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    NH, USA
    Posts
    6,098

    Re: 10 Top Tips for Fell Runni

    Quote Originally Posted by macc ladd View Post
    never share a lift to a race with anyone that is likely to win a prize. You don't get home very quickly.
    lol, I have to go through this almost every race with the wife. Makes a race a short 1 hr trip to a longer evening.

  9. #29
    Master IainR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    NH, USA
    Posts
    6,098

    Re: 10 Top Tips for Fell Runni

    BTW thanks for all the suggestions. The BMC approached us to write a short article for the next issue of Summit, in the form of a top 10 tips for beginners style. They had a cancellation so we had to get it together in a few days. Anyway its out in August. It was unpaid, just thought I'd get some wider views.

    Cheers

    Iain

  10. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    449

    Re: 10 Top Tips for Fell Runni

    Quote Originally Posted by macc ladd View Post
    never share a lift to a race with anyone that is likely to win a prize. You don't get home very quickly.
    Or make sure that the prizegiving is in a pub and your mate is driving!

Similar Threads

  1. New to Fell Running.
    By LouiseNichols81 in forum Beginners
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 18-07-2010, 04:54 PM
  2. Fell Running Dvd.
    By Nathaniel Lee in forum General chat!
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 14-11-2009, 02:08 AM
  3. Top Tips on Fell Running!
    By BLUEBIKE in forum General Fellrunning Issues
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 20-10-2009, 06:08 PM
  4. Fell Running First Aid
    By Alan in forum General Fellrunning Issues
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 19-09-2008, 03:52 PM
  5. Fell running in the FT
    By Al. in forum General Fellrunning Issues
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 25-04-2007, 10:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •