Thread: Ldmt - 2014

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire

Ldmt - 2014

Contemplating doing the LDMT this year for the first time.
    I'm definitely not up to the classic at the moment so considering either the short or medium. I'm usually a mid-pack AM/BM fell race finisher so thinking the medium could be the way to go.
    Does anyone know how the distances and ascent are calculated. Is it straight line or optimum route? That could make a big difference......
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    Contemplating doing the LDMT this year for the first time.
    I'm definitely not up to the classic at the moment so considering either the short or medium. I'm usually a mid-pack AM/BM fell race finisher so thinking the medium could be the way to go.
    Does anyone know how the distances and ascent are calculated. Is it straight line or optimum route? That could make a big difference......
    straight line I think

So climb could be less but distance longer.

Ian

It tends to be done on orienteering lines which is direct distance between checkpoints but height is taken from the planners best route, and in fact this is secondary to the planner having an expected winning time to which he plans the course. Anyhow, expect some variation - the last race in 2012 was very short and won in 3h12mins (I was out 5 hours)whereas Eskdale in 2009 was 4h 54mins (I was out 8 hours). Most of the others I've done have been won in just over 4h. More recently they seem to have got shorter but maybe we're just due for a long one!!

Last year's route (that didn't actually start) looked like it would have been a long one!
    "And the winds blow and the sky looks cool / So I make my home in the clouds"

Thanks everybody.

Had a look at some previous years results and times which seems to confirm that the quoted distance is straight line. On that basis and the fact its my first LDMT, I'm just going to do the short this year with the aim of either the medium or classic next year. Hopefully I'll be back to full fitness by then!
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Confirmation from RO:
    "Distances are straight line (deviating for lakes, out-of-bounds etc) and ascent is straightest sensible route. The actual courses may be 10-20% longer or shorter in practice."
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Quote Originally Posted by BillJ View Post
    Last year's route (that didn't actually start) looked like it would have been a long one!
    ...And a wet one...actually it was very wet, we ran out to the first couple of CP and back on a 2-3 hour steady loop to find the river had burst its banks and we had to wade knee deep through the surrounding fields before jumping in the car as getting out as soon as possible...