Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lakeland Peaks Record

Lakeland Peaks Record

Rumour has it, .......

that a low publicity attempt went ahead this weekend. Any news?

There was something on twitter about this. Not sure of all the details,from what I can remember, it ended 77 tops in on the top of Griesdale Pike.

I have got this from various snippets I've picked up so may be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Graeme78 View Post
    There was something on twitter about this. Not sure of all the details,from what I can remember, it ended 77 tops in on the top of Griesdale Pike.

I have got this from various snippets I've picked up so may be wrong.
    Mark Hartell here - yes, there was a great attempt yesterday that was very nearly successful. I'm sure it's no great secret but it is probably fair for the contender to name themself rather than me do it.

It was a nail biting day - watching the tracker - as he added Ullscarf to the current 77 and was only 20 then 15 then 5 minutes down at Newlands. He carried on all the way and summitted Grizedale just around 24 hours in. It looks as though time slipped away after Newlands Hause - maybe some low cloud on the summits as I had - who knows.

Anyway - it was the strongest and closest attempt and I expect I will be handing over next year at the dinner - this lad clearly has what it takes!

He has "outed" himself on facebook

There was clag on the leg from Newlands but it wasn't too difficult, more recce needed.
    Those that needed to know knew - i.e. friends and most of the fell racing community - it was a recuring topic of convosation during Steve's Wainwrights. He just kept it away from the forum sitters as he knew Saturday's forecast was good and that you should get out and enjoy it instead of watching a dot on a screen!
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

That was a brilliant effort to get so close.

This is a tough record to break. I should know as i tried twice but did not get close. I always equate it to doing a 16 hour BG and then carrying out for the next 8 hours at the same speed. If anything goes wrong on the round and you loose 30 minutes there is no way to catch it up.

Basically, everything needs to go perfectly: weather, underfoot conditions, support, knowing all the lines and feeling good for 24 hours.

Hopefully next time the record can be broken.

Quote Originally Posted by ba-ba View Post
    .... and most of the fell racing community (knew) ...!
    Most?

well I knew, and was watching the dot from Canada

So close....nailbiting stuff.
    Last edited by creaky; 30-06-2014 at 07:07 PM.

I din't know, still don't!!
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com

Good afternoon,

Just to clear up the attempt. The intention was for 78 Peaks, with the addition of Ulscarf. In the end I ran out of time and finished on Grisedale Pike having managed 77 Peaks in 24:59. So not a round and not the same 77. In hindsight on the realisation of not having the time in with ~6 tops to go I should have pressed hard to summit all 78 (I would not have managed to descend within time, that is certain), there was a small lull of disappointment otherwise that was achieveable.

The support I received from all concerned has been brilliant and although I thought I knew how difficult it would be etc., I learnt an incredible amount about what it will take.

The record Mark set is exceptionally good and the speed at which he was moving in the final legs is very impressive. There is just no let up.

Back to the fells for some training.... thanks to all who contributed and wished well.

Adam