Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Todays Tennis

I'm sure his hip will be fine later in the year when the BBC throw my licence fee money at him to appear on Strictly.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Banned
    SPOTY?

The lad was probably in the best mens era ever.

He was a fair player but too emotional as he's proved.

I'm no great tennis fan but always liked Murray. Contrary to everyone else's opinions I thought he had a good dry sense of humour - lost on most - and played with heart.
    I don't think he was blessed with the skills of the other legends of his time, but through continual hard graft succeeded.
    I now read that a sports reporter (a tennis fan) rates him as the greatest British sportsman ever. I think that is a bit silly.

Having your best job imaginable in the whole world and being knackered at 31, he has my sympathy. Does all the money he has earned take his pain away, no. He is a young sportsman, one of the best in the world at tennis who should have a few more years and now it is all gone. Good luck to the lad even if he does have to take up dancing.

A man, showing emotion? Grieving in his own way as what has been 95% of His Life for ~25 years is basically coming to an end? Well I for one am DISGUSTED Mavis and yes I am going to let it bother me even though it's got nothing to do with me and has no effect on me no I just can't handle it.
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Anyway, British Tennis back to normal. All Brits out of a Grand Slam before the end of the first week.
    I have often wondered why a sport, that is at best 7th in a list of numbers of participants, gets so much TV coverage.
    Perhaps it is because all the luvvies at the BBC like a bit of a knock about and look forward to the annual Wimbledon love in.
    BTW, what does the LTA do with all the money?
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Good question Llani....Murray is asking the same thing!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Master
    Sensational win by Simona Halep. Like Kerber last year she showed how to beat Serena Williams with sheer guts and determination. Williams looked lethargic, like her muscular bulk was weighing her down. She doesn't want to run for the ball and up to now she's gotten away with it by outpowering her weaker opponents.

If you compare Williams now to when she first won Wimbledon the transformation is clear. She's heavier and stronger but doesn't have much endurance. Yes she can serve now at 125mph compared to 110mph at the first Wimbledon but against a fit and strong Halep it wasn't enough.

Another thing: the BBC commentary didn't know what to say. They were shocked their favourite was getting outplayed. Anyway I think women in tennis have to get themselves fitter and stronger because there's a new girl on the block.

I have often wondered why a sport, that is at best 7th in a list of numbers of participants, gets so much TV coverage.
    Perhaps it is because all the luvvies at the BBC like a bit of a knock about and look forward to the annual Wimbledon love in.

Just look at the viewer figures. A lot of people like watching tennis, including my wife. It's the only sport she watches.

Banned
    Where is the logic and fairness behind paying one lot for an hour's work and others for ove 4 hrs work?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    Where is the logic and fairness behind paying one lot for an hour's work and others for over 4 hrs work?
    Who's won?