Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thurlstone Chase

Quote Originally Posted by backtothefells View Post
    Nice pic of Paul

I think he was putting it on for the camera Mr W, its not that hard a race.
    Never under estimate the power of the darkside of the fells.

Quote Originally Posted by Racing Snake View Post
    I think he was putting it on for the camera Mr W, its not that hard a race.
    I guess it depends how hard you try...

I'll be the first to admit that my knowledge of brass bands is extremely limited, I enjoyed the film Brassed Off years ago and that's about it, I'm more of a 'heavy metal' fan. On the drive over for today's race Atomic Rooster were my band of choice and not a single 'brass' note could be heard.

On arrival at today's race I could hear the unmistakable tones of a brass band and was pleasantly surprised to actually recognise the tune: Baggy Trousers by Madness.

I then sat on the grass in front of St Saviours church and enjoyed listening to Thurlstone brass band.....who'd have thought it....whatever next?...jazz!

The race is part of Thurlstone Village Gala day but feels almost hidden away in the woods at the back of the church. Race registration can be located by either walking up a narrow flight of steps that run along the side of the church or by driving up a narrow road/track to a large open field car park. This road/track is actually the final climb during the race and leads straight to the finish line in the woods. If you don't fancy driving up the narrow road there's plenty of parking across the road from the church.

The course is pretty straightforward: bridle paths, farm tracks, fields and a little road. Certainly nothing technically challenging, but it's fast and furious. The final climb up the aforementioned road/track has me blowing more than the Thurlstone brass band wind section.....unlike the musicians I'm not just blowing out of my mouth I'm also blowing out me arse....unfortunately it doesn't make me go any faster.

At the prize giving we're in for a treat.

There's a local Artisan baker called 'Chef on a Bike'. He delivers bread locally by bicycle and he's been busy baking for the prize giving. Some cakes were also handed out and I swear the Portuguese Custard tart was one of the most delicious cakes I've ever tasted....I asked 'Chef on a Bike' if he delivered as far as Chorley....unsurprisingly he doesn't peddle that far.

Home made jam and Rescue Ale were also given to prize winners...beltin.

The drive home was tricky....I've never tried singing along to Atomic Rooster with a gob full of bread, it's not recommended....my car is littered with crumbs, with any luck in time they'll disguise the smell of sweaty running gear.

Many thanks to Simon and all helpers.
    Darren Fishwick, Chorley.

I'm not sure where they've got the stats from for this race, i make it 466' of climb not 801', which makes it a CS. The roadents will be in their element here.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Thanks to the team at penistone footpath runners for their efforts in difficult times, they delivered a good event safely. I got some free socks and a bottle of local ale out of it...that and nettle stings.

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    Thanks to the team at penistone footpath runners for their efforts in difficult times, they delivered a good event safely. I got some free socks and a bottle of local ale out of it...that and nettle stings.

I've been reading this thread and thinking that I thought I had done this race but couldn't really remember.

However some years ago I listed every race I have ever done in alpha order and with all the years and if I had won my Vet category and have then kept it updated. Yes it did take a little while.

But now it is only a matter of seconds to check and discover that I did and I did in 2005.

Of course the more worrying problem is that I still remember nothing about it.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    I've been reading this thread and thinking that I thought I had done this race but couldn't really remember.

However some years ago I listed every race I have ever done in alpha order and with all the years and if I had won my Vet category and have then kept it updated. Yes it did take a little while.

But now it is only a matter of seconds to check and discover that I did and I did in 2005.

Of course the more worrying problem is that I still remember nothing about it.
    Well G you're going to have to do it again because the course run on saturday was an alteration to avoid a field of heifers and calves, and it's sticking for future races! So, officially, both m/f results are now records as are the vet class times. I hear the gala is quite good, so you'll probably remember it when you go back.

I picked up a useful 89.56 50@50 points, and finished 14th overall. A bit worse than i thought, but there were a lot of quick people there.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    Well G you're going to have to do it again because the course run on saturday was an alteration to avoid a field of heifers and calves, and it's sticking for future races! So, officially, both m/f results are now records as are the vet class times. I hear the gala is quite good, so you'll probably remember it when you go back.
    Mmmh. I suppose one or two routes have changed over the years. I think I have done over 300 different fell races so perhaps I should do them all again from Aggie's Staircase to Wray Caton Moor.

But will I live so long?
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".