Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bluetrail Ultra, Tenerife

Got my doctor's appointment tonight, to hopefully get the medical certificate signed.

Not quite sure how i'm going to explain to someone who may never have heard of ultra or fell-running, that running 60 miles over a volcano, in the heat of the Canaries, potential altitude issues, and starting at midnight... is a quite sane thing to do.

All i can do is point to the other entry-criteria and past race experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Got my doctor's appointment tonight, to hopefully get the medical certificate signed.

Not quite sure how i'm going to explain to someone who may never have heard of ultra or fell-running, that running 60 miles over a volcano, in the heat of the Canaries, potential altitude issues, and starting at midnight... is a quite sane thing to do.

All i can do is point to the other entry-criteria and past race experience.
    He might section you Travs!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

I told him that it was a strange one, and he said "I've heard everything so I highly doubt anything you say will be strange..."

I uttered the words "ultra-marathon" and "up to and including 100 miles..." and his face dropped and he said "yes that is a bit strange..."!

I didn't dare mention the amount of climbing or altitude involved, for fear of him not signing it. But he did, and it didn't cost me anything, so i made a hasty exit before he had time to reconsider. All systems go now...

Didn't cost you anything! Are you sure he was a GP?

I did ask him straight out if there was a fee. His reply was that he was entitled to charge a fee, but he didn't see why he should.

Top man...

Perhaps he fancied you!

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Certainly capable of managing the distance and climb. But the additional factors of a midnight start, heat, sun, altitude, make this look like a fantastic challenge.
    Take a look at this video. It's from someone who did the Transvulcania on La Palma. He's a pretty strong guy, but it was the descents that caused the problems, as well as sore feet (hard pack and rocks all the way). Very emotional finish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=due7H5tPnOg

I'm on a bit of a Canaries buzz at the moment. I did the Transgrancanaria (marathon distance) a week and a half ago and have the Transvulcania coming up in May. This is unfinished business for me as I was forced to miss it last year due to injury (although I still went out to La Palma and sussed out the logistics).

I totally agree about the descents: brutal, extreme, rocky, technical and never-ending. If the Bluetrail is similar, my recommendation would be to wear shoes with rock plates and cushioning as well as thick merino socks, and gaiters to keep out dust, rock and lava.

If you think the spectators are calling you an animal, it's more likely that they're yelling "Animo!"

Fantastic fun!!!
    "Get yourself together, Jones" - Ray Davies

Scanned the video, although I will watch it in full when I get the chance.

Re shoes, planning to wear Hoka Speedgoats. Plenty of cushioning. I think the unique issue of the Bluetrail (which I believe may be a bit different to the other Canaries races), is that it's effectively one huge ascent, followed by one huge descent.

Goats should be fine.
    Enjoy!
    "Get yourself together, Jones" - Ray Davies