Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Half Tour of Bradwell

I did it in Feb'18 and Sep'19 and it was the lower route both times - looks like they changed it for Feb'19 (was it even run in Feb'20?)
    anyhoo
    seesyatomoz!
    Last edited by DazTheSlug; 21-05-2021 at 02:36 PM.
    Scramble the rock face through the glare of morning sun — to run

Quote Originally Posted by DazTheSlug View Post
    (was it even run in Feb'20?)
    Yes, 8th Feb 2020. I would have attached the results pdf as proof but the forum says the file size is way too big to accept.

The weather was cool but dry for the 63 starters in this mornings Reverse Half Tour of Bradwell, 17 and a half miles and 3,600 feet.

Very well organised with each runners race number, Fabian 4 wrist band dibber thing and map pegged individually on a length of climbing rope on the way to the start. Runners could start anytime between 9 and 9.30 and although I was there before 9 I didn't get away until 9.30 due to a combination of chatting, faffing and 2 toilet visits! Why does my stomach do this to me before races?

Off I set and on the first climb was overtaken by two pals who I never saw again and shortly after I overtook two others. I didn't see anyone else until mile 8 when I met a runner coming towards me in the woods below Win Hill saying he had gone the wrong way. I carried on, now with a little doubt, as I had not reccied the route but a glance behind showed that he was now following me. I now wasn't sure of the best route as I couldn't find a large water trough that was mentioned in the written route description but suddenly Aston appeared below us and a short charge through knee deep gorse got us back on track, my brief companion picking a better line and disappearing down the fields. I never saw him again either!

I didn't see anyone else again for a couple of miles until ascending Lose Hill where I overtook 10 runners. A sharp descent off Back Tor and a mile of flat road into Castleton. Through the village and up into Cave Dale which is the start of the Limestone Way and up to the final checkpoint where I passed 2 more. A horrible descent along a rough and then very rough track down Pindale where I dropped a major bollock and missed the right turn before the campsite and ended up at the entrance barriers of Hope Cement Works. Bugger!
    An about turn and back up the hill where I picked up the correct path which led back to Bradwell and the finish, just managing to re overtake the one runner who had benefitted from my error. Apparently I wasn't the only one to miss the turn!

My final dib checked me in at 3hrs 20 min, 29th O/A and my Garmin told me that I had done 18 and a half miles! A couple of costly lapses. At the finish one of my pals lifted my backpack and couldn't believe the weight of it. I weighed it when I got home and it was 7lbs. I think because I have been doing some longish walks of late and carrying more stuff it didn't feel particularly heavy when I put it on, but there was far too much in there for a run. So I reckon that now knowing the route and without having a few stops to look at the map, less kit, and the extra mile I should be able to get around in under 3hrs.

Great to be back out competing again although with the starting system it didn't feel too much like a race as I hardly saw anyone, and that is in no way a criticism of the event, which was excellent. Looking forward to West Nab next week if the legs are back working!,
    Last edited by Llani Boy; 23-05-2021 at 09:36 AM.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Llani Boy if I'd known who you were I could have said 'ow do. I also left around 09:30, although no toilet visits for me as I've never suffered in that department. I also hardly saw anyone because they were all in front after the late starters had overtaken me. I did get to run with DazTheSlug for a while until I had to stop on the descent to Shatton to remove my windproof; I was burning up. I realised a short while later that I should have sweated until the road crossing and made use of the timeout. Daz it was great to chat for a while.

Even though I'd never done the reverse route, because I'd done all the Long Tours and one Winter Half Tour I knew which turns to look out for. When I came to the right turn at the bottom of Pin Dale I saw the van blocking the entrance to the footpath and thought how it would cause runners to miss it.

The organisation was excellent with the usual attention to detail so nothing is left to chance. It was my first proper race (all be it with COVID restrictions) since Haworth Hobble in 2020, and my longest 'run' since March 6th this year. Needless to say it came as a shock to the system, so much so that I got to make the acquaintance of the sweepers. It wasn't an unpleasant experience; they were quite friendly really. I struggled to walk afterwards but I was recovered sufficiently on Sunday for the next race. It's good to be back.

I took some pictures of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by BritNick View Post
    Llani Boy if I'd known who you were I could have said 'ow do. I also left around 09:30, although no toilet visits for me as I've never suffered in that department. I also hardly saw anyone because they were all in front after the late starters had overtaken me. I did get to run with DazTheSlug for a while until I had to stop on the descent to Shatton to remove my windproof; I was burning up. I realised a short while later that I should have sweated until the road crossing and made use of the timeout. Daz it was great to chat for a while.

Even though I'd never done the reverse route, because I'd done all the Long Tours and one Winter Half Tour I knew which turns to look out for. When I came to the right turn at the bottom of Pin Dale I saw the van blocking the entrance to the footpath and thought how it would cause runners to miss it.

The organisation was excellent with the usual attention to detail so nothing is left to chance. It was my first proper race (all be it with COVID restrictions) since Haworth Hobble in 2020, and my longest 'run' since March 6th this year. Needless to say it came as a shock to the system, so much so that I got to make the acquaintance of the sweepers. It wasn't an unpleasant experience; they were quite friendly really. I struggled to walk afterwards but I was recovered sufficiently on Sunday for the next race. It's good to be back.

I took some pictures of the day.
    Likewise.

I think I know who you are now! I overtook two runners at the first checkpoint and one of them had a camera who I am assuming was you especially as one of the pictures you have posted is of my back. I am the one carrying everything but the kitchen sink in the Grivel backpack.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    Likewise.

I am the one carrying everything but the kitchen sink in the Grivel backpack.
    Aah, nice to have met you. I thought of climbing when I saw your rear view. I'd never seen a Grivel rucksack before.

Yes, I can often be seen with a camera in races.