Thread: Fellrunners at The Capricorn?

Fellrunners at The Capricorn?

I am very puzzled why so few fellrunners seemed to join in the fun we had on The Capricorn this weekend. It was in the same format as the OMM/KIMM, the LAMM etc. with various classes and two score classes. At a rough guess there were no more than 200 runners in total there and 90% were Orienteers.
    We did get lucky with the weather, it was fabulous with views over 50 miles on day 2 from Kinder southwards, and the ground was lovely and squishy (except for the bracken. my shins look like a dozen yorkies chewed on them). Mind you, shouldn't complain as my mate and I came in first pair in long score, this may never happen again if everyone comes along next time.

Master

Re: Fellrunners at The Caprico

I'm not sure why it isn't more popular, perhaps because it's not as widely publicised as some events? Not just among fell-runners - there's been no mention at all in our orienteering club newsletters, so there were only 8 members there despite it being less than an hour and a half away.
    It used to be more popular I'm sure, it then stopped for 2 or 3 years so maybe it'll increase again once the word gets round.

I should have finished just 5 points behind you in long score. Sadly, on day 1 I forgot to mark one of the controls on my map, so ran right past it without dibbing. And then on day 2 I was within 100m of a control but just couldn't see it, so cut my losses and missed it. So I finished a creditable (for me) 16th

Agreed, it's a great event. It is not the same format as the LAMM or KIMM/OMM though - no overnight kit to carry! Makes it very enjoyable if you ask me, and more sociable as you can bring family etc along to the campsite.

I took my lads walking up Kinder on Sunday and saw some of the the competitors - wish I could have been competing!

brilliant weekend really enjoyed it, aching like hell now, right ankle swolen, shins full of cuts, both knees aching, blister on left foot & sunburnt legs. It was hell in bed last night!!

I second all of the above. Great event, two tough days of running and the weather wasn't bad either.

It was also good to bring the family and my little girl loved the chickens in the barn, couldn't keep her away!

I also messed up on day 2, I wrongly marked a control on the C course. And I was 11th on Sat night. Doh!!

Does anyone know what happened to the couple that were back late on Saturday night??
    He's big and he's good.

I don't know what happened to that couple, probably just tired. I saw them walking back into the campsite at 8pm and they didn't appear to be injured, so must've gone badly wrong or something.

Yes it was a great event wasn't it. Nice campsite, Wilfs, bar in the barn, starts and finishes all close by. Park up on Friday and forget the car for the weekend.

Map was sorted this year as well, special Harveys with all controls premarked, and a fresh map on day 2. With my orienteer's hat on I might say it was confusing having farmland marked in green, but I suppose for runners not used to orienteering maps it would be just as confusing having farmland marked in the normal yellow.

For me the highlight on course A was the leg crossing from south to north of Kinder - actually much easier running along the stream beds than other legs contouring the flanks of Kinder through bracken and heather etc.

Looking forward to next year.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie View Post
    Map was sorted this year as well, special Harveys with all controls premarked, and a fresh map on day 2. With my orienteer's hat on I might say it was confusing having farmland marked in green, but I suppose for runners not used to orienteering maps it would be just as confusing having farmland marked in the normal yellow.
    That confused me too, on day 1 I only had time to follow the wall straight back from the road crossing to the finish, and it took me a few minutes to work out why there were fields on my left instead of woods

I don't think it's just orienteers who'd be confused, MM maps normally use the yellow=farmland convention too - I checked my Saunders and OMM maps afterwards to make sure!

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie View Post
    For me the highlight on course A was the leg crossing from south to north of Kinder - actually much easier running along the stream beds than other legs contouring the flanks of Kinder through bracken and heather etc.
    The same for me on long score day 2. if I'd realised the going was so good up there, I'd have done less on Alport Moor on day 1 and taken in a few of the controls on Kinder instead

The Capricorn's one of my favourite events of the year, it always manages to be low key and friendly without losing anything in the organisation.

Really great event, it's not often you get events like this in the Peak district so I too am surprised more people didn't come. The weather made it even better, and going home for a bath on Saturday evening topped it off!

The B course had the leg across Kinder on Saturday and it was challenging, and I went thigh deep in peat bogs a number of times. Thought the courses were good, and I'm going to get out running on Kinder more now.