Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Urgent Announcement!

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    That's Tetleys
    Yeah it's not even northern men's pants any more either.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Quote Originally Posted by wycoller View Post
    Arncliffe gala and fell race this Saturday, so a good chance to sample the ale at the Falcon afterwards.
    Weather's looking like it's on the turn but never mind. Good chance to sample the manner in which your drink is poured too- from a Saltglazed jug. I think it's under new ownership nowadays, i remember the last owner used to refer often to the HM Coat of Arms above the bar during conversation, he was quite the character all in all.

I remember the first time i walked in there. I'd seen it on one or two of my sunday afternoon drives when i had the Mk1 Golf GTI and petrol was cheap, it was some years later when i took up fellwalking i dropped in for a pint. It was a bit like walking in on the set of a BBC2 costume drama, the old landlord was stood behind what looked to be the bar with a large jug in his hand. My eye was immediately caught by the watercolour on the right as you walk in, which was a guide to all the spots in the dale where game of various sorts could be found by the Skirfare. He chuntered to himself as he poured my pint and cashed the money into an old wooden coin box of some sort. I sat in the back room and studied the fossils and minerals on the windowsil at length, some of which are not from the local area i concluded. I like the old oak sideboard in the entrance hall quite a lot too.
    Last edited by mr brightside; 04-08-2014 at 07:20 PM.

The old landlord was helping out last year, think he had a barrel on the table outside. Things hadn't changed!

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Now if the Falcon in Arncliffe did something crazy like offering lager or fancy flavoured crisps like salt and vinegar there might be a problem but some tourist boozer changing its ale? Who cares?
    One of the reasons i go to The Fountaine is because, unless it's a very hot day, it's well off the tourist trail. You'd really have no need to go to Linton unless you were going to the pub as it's a detour in most cases, i just happened to stumble accross it one day when i was checking out the mine under Elbolton Hill.

It gets busy-ish on a sunny day, but with parking scarce and no local services it's not the melee you'll see at Burnsall. I called in for an evening meal one night after some midgey-bitten fishing trip in Swaledale and had some of the scran, it's top notch and you usually have to book in advance to get a table. The best way i know of spending an afternoon is a pint in there, followed by a run over Elbolton and Stebden Hills, and a soup after.

Nowt wrong wi a pint o Johns lads come on whats up wi thi!
    http://www.mikkmurray.co.uk - My art and running blog! Go on.. Take a look!

Quote Originally Posted by MickTor View Post
    Nowt wrong wi a pint o Johns lads come on whats up wi thi!
    What
    Wash yer mouth out wi a Fosters shandy.

Super Moderator
    Poacher turned game-keeper

What an odd program, like a cross between Python and The Onedin Line. Looks like the entertainment of a John Smiths drinker...