Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Israel and Gaza

Israel and Gaza

It was mentioned on another thread that there is a lack of philosophical debate on the issues that really matter. Here's one to get your teeth into.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    It was mentioned on another thread that there is a lack of philosophical debate on the issues that really matter. Here's one to get your teeth into.
    Don't mess with Israel they are nutters.

No preference or interest in it.Not our war, keep well clear. We are not the world police.

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    More a humanitarian & political issue than philosophical I would have thought.

6 of one half a dozen of the other, if the roles were reversed and Hamas had the military power of Israeli how restrained do you think they would be? Not that I condone the killing of innocents by either side. Banning of all religion would be a good start to stopping half the worlds wars IMO.
    Annan and District Athletic Club. http://www.adac.org.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Banning of all religion would be a good start to stopping half the worlds wars IMO.
    Genghis Khan's regime managed to kill around 40 million people yet he actually passed laws allowing religious freedom and was not aligned to any particular faith.
    Just saying.

Religion is to blame.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    Religion is to blame.
    What about hate, greed and intolerance?

Quote Originally Posted by Ady In Accy View Post
    What about hate, greed and intolerance?
    And the desire for power. In religious societies, religious people wield power. I don't think secular societies throughout history have been any better at avoiding war and suffering.

It's the inevitability of it all that amazes me. I can't see anything changing in the next 30 years.

Master
    If I walked into your house, said "My granddad lived in this house years ago and I've had a rough time so I want it back, then gave you the conservatory would you be happy?

Nope

Then imagine, I actually took the back garden gate off you so you couldn't get out and filtered your post through to you slowly and rationed your tesco home delivery to you at a level where you were just about getting by but not well- would you not be throwing your shit at me by that point?
    Trying to plod up hills every day slightly faster than the day before

Master
    This is a non-religious issue insofar as it's the tyranny of a state against another. It;s only religious in it's historical context but seeing as though Israel flouts religious values in order to wage it's campaign against Palestine I wouldn't say it is truly relevant that it was borne out of religiosity.

The relevant fact about this conflict is; Israel could move every vulnerable citizen out of the way of those bombs, but as Israel restricts the Palestinians' movement none of them can escape it. So Israel is choosing to escalate the death count as it has total control over the workings of this
    Trying to plod up hills every day slightly faster than the day before