Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snowdonia 50

Snowdonia 50

This looks like Wales answer to the Lakeland 50.
    It's in about a month.
    There are 100 places but only 28 entries so far. I've entered and I don't want it to be called off due to lack of numbers. Anyone else up for it?

http://snowdonia50.com/home

I've just checked the entry list - 33 to date.

It's about to be re-named "Snowdonia 56".....
    Still only 33 entries!

Quote Originally Posted by GregC View Post
    It's about to be re-named "Snowdonia 56".....
    Still only 33 entries!
    Its strange why its struggling.. the Lakes 50 got popular very quickly..

Looks interesting! But there's such a lot of these on now. It really is difficult sorting the wheat from the chaff so to speak! The Breacon ones seem like a good challenge too, as do Vegan 3000's etc. Still to do the proper Welsh 1000's as I only did the year it got shortened. So much to do so little time!
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by that_fjell_guy View Post
    Looks interesting! But there's such a lot of these on now. It really is difficult sorting the wheat from the chaff so to speak! The Breacon ones seem like a good challenge too, as do Vegan 3000's etc. Still to do the proper Welsh 1000's as I only did the year it got shortened. So much to do so little time!
    Echoed - and at £50 it's not cheap. Good luck to them though.

Quote Originally Posted by barnyc View Post
    Echoed - and at £50 it's not cheap. Good luck to them though.
    50 for a 50 miler is fine.. £1/mile is a rough rule..

The problem is people wanting to race 50's 10 times a year and expecting them to be £10 a pop..

Out here its easy £80 for a race if not more.. it depends what you get. For £50 I expect fully stocked aid stations though.

Too many UK ultra's are taking US/European style prices and not providing the same level of in race support..

If its bag drops and all that, like the Fling used to be, it should be much cheaper.

I see some races advertised as low key.. don't molly coddle you.. challenging.. basically they won't provide anything yet still charging upwards of 100 quid for a 100 miles..

I'm usually pretty tight when it comes to race entries, using the £1 per mile criteria (which I'll bend for exceptional races I really want to do like Snowdon) and I don't think it's bad value. Fifty quid for two nights camping, 50 mile race with 7 well stocked checkpoints, finishers medal, Eryri 50 buff and a meal at the finish seems OK.
    It appealed because it's in Snowdonia and also because I prefer smaller events (it has a maximum number of entries of 100). I'm genuinely surprised that the entry limit hasn't been reached.
    I've never really fancied the L50 as it's just too big an event. I often refer to it, perhaps unfairly, as an executive trail race. By comparison, The Old County Tops is a much better event, a suburb value day out with a much smaller field.

[QUOTE...executive trail race.[/QUOTE]

That's rather good.

Do you have other evocative descriptions? Three Peaks Race? Bob Graham Round?
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Super Moderator
    There is a group of mature runners at Keighley who always refer to the BG as the Wobbly Bob. It makes me smile because my local used to serve Wobbly Bob and I had a customer in my early days in sales who was affectionately known as Wobbly Bob. We used to have business meetings at 5-30 pm on a Friday in the local 'spoons
    Poacher turned game-keeper