Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Snowdonia 50

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    Its strange why its struggling.. the Lakes 50 got popular very quickly..
    The first Lakes 50 in 2008 had about 35 starters and a few fewer finishers.
    This year's Lakes 50 had 600 entries within an hour!

There are a heck of a lot of people now who consider it pretty run of the mill to contemplate doing a 50 mile footrace. It's amazing really.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkL View Post
    The first Lakes 50 in 2008 had about 35 starters and a few fewer finishers.
    This year's Lakes 50 had 600 entries within an hour!

There are a heck of a lot of people now who consider it pretty run of the mill to contemplate doing a 50 mile footrace. It's amazing really.
    Never realised it was that old.. Thought it started a few years later..

An epic journey and a great event.
    By the time I got to Bethesda I thought I'd done all the climbing - but then you have to negotiate the nine miles of uphill up Nant Francon - phew! Makes that run along Haweswater on the Lakes 50 seem like a parkrun! It was great to be part of such a small, cosy event - 26 starters. The organisers,checkpoint staff and all the volunteers were brilliant. It turned out to be good value: tee shirt, buff, bottle of beer, showers, incredibly well stocked checkpoints, and a genuine share of the organisers enthusiasm.

Thanks everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkL View Post
    An epic journey and a great event.
    By the time I got to Bethesda I thought I'd done all the climbing - but then you have to negotiate the nine miles of uphill up Nant Francon - phew! Makes that run along Haweswater on the Lakes 50 seem like a parkrun! It was great to be part of such a small, cosy event - 26 starters. The organisers,checkpoint staff and all the volunteers were brilliant. It turned out to be good value: tee shirt, buff, bottle of beer, showers, incredibly well stocked checkpoints, and a genuine share of the organisers enthusiasm.

Thanks everyone.

Agreed, what a great event, and not forgetting the substantial slate finishers "medal", which was almost worth the entry fee alone! I think the organiser had roped in his entire family and friends to help, who all helped make it something special to be part of. After getting some sleep I got up to see the last few runners hobble in. A memorable weekend -thanks to Henry and everyone involved.
    Last edited by GregC; 15-09-2014 at 07:02 AM.

Anyone doing it this year? What was the spread of finish times?

results on http://www.sportident.co.uk/results.php
    really friendly welcoming event. Magnificent route - harder than Lakeland 50. Longer - not so much climbing but some rough country

Yes it was very tough and I thought much harder than Lakeland 50...even more climbing than I'm sure I saw on the website. The guy I ran with got 2700m on his watch and 58 miles. I'd say more fell terrain than Lakeland which is mostly runnable well used trails and this was harder route finding in parts on the fell sections. Tempted to go back next year but need to get my legs used to long road stretches!

I thought this event was fantastic. 7 awesome aid stations, a completely dappy rd, a lovely route mixing lots of different terrain (although I did find the road section hard on the feet) and as much beer at the finish as I could drink; turned out to be only 2.

would recommend it to anyone.

I loved this event, it was one of the best weekends ever. Thanks to all the organisers, marshalls, supporters and fellow entrants, it was simply fabulous.

Happy days!

When do entries for 2016 open please?
    a rush and a push and the land is ours