Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The class of 2015

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Martyn P View Post
    Neither of them post here (well, one does infrequently), but I know a couple of gals who will be giving it a go in 2015 ..... probably

Clue: I'm married to one of them
    Mrs P is very well equipped for BG'ing. Stick us down for a leg or two
    Poacher turned game-keeper

I reckon that I'll be back for another shot next year after a winter of learning to eat!
    I was happy with my preparation and fitness this year, but it seems I simply didn't get enough food down my neck to get me beyond Pillar. So, same routine this winter and spring, and keep my fingers crossed that turning 60 in March doesn't slam the door.

Martyn,let me know when you're across with Helen and I'll join you for some recce time.
    “The higher we soar, the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly.”

Geoff Cox Lonsdale Fellrunners

Quote Originally Posted by tinyman View Post
    I reckon that I'll be back for another shot next year after a winter of learning to eat!
    I was happy with my preparation and fitness this year, but it seems I simply didn't get enough food down my neck to get me beyond Pillar. So, same routine this winter and spring, and keep my fingers crossed that turning 60 in March doesn't slam the door.

Martyn,let me know when you're across with Helen and I'll join you for some recce time.
    I'll do that Geoff, will look forward to it.

DT - I think you and Stef are dead certs for support duties!
    Martyn Price
    North Leeds Fell Runners

Quote Originally Posted by stolly View Post
    having 'clockwised' (finally) last year, my latest hair brained (and only this second thought up) scheme is for a crack at a solo anti-clockwise attempt. To do it solo would be fantastic, particularly anti-clockwise which has thus far proved to be a right bastard of a way round to go.

Also i could feasibly just pop over to the lakes and do it when ever i like - so its a friday evening, the weather's not looking too bad and, on a whim, i can suddenly mention to hester "i know, i'll do a solo bg tonight"

that said it might be better, and slightly more prudent, if i can also enlist hester to be soup lady at one or two of the road stops!

As to whether i could still fit that in this year or wait till next, i'm not sure. Winter is coming...
    liked!!!!!
    pies

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    The class of 2014 was a great idea I thought. Good luck to everyone having a go next year! Many folk will tell you they have very fond memories of their BG year(s)

Some useful links: Blogs - here plus here Bob Whiteman's website - here
    I'm touched that you chose my ramblings DT. Was shocked to see what was staring back at me when I clicked You're right though, totally find memories. Barely a day passes when a bit of it (or the build up to it) doesn't pop into my head.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Smith View Post
    I'm touched that you chose my ramblings DT. Was shocked to see what was staring back at me when I clicked You're right though, totally find memories. Barely a day passes when a bit of it (or the build up to it) doesn't pop into my head.
    You and Ian Charters inspired me to have a go. It was ace to see you (out helping someone else on Bowfell) and Ian (with his camera) on my round

I am possibly thinking about a 2015 attempt but need to get my head round the training and preparation. I wondered if any of you 2015 contenders have or are to willing to share a typical weekly training plan. Is a training plan for a BG dealt with in stages e.g autumn-work on speed and stamina; winter-get the strength from big climbs etc. I know there is a lot of good advice on the forums but I am trying to work out how I might structure training for this based on getting out 3/4 times a week (a couple of mid week evening runs and a longer weekend run). Any advice or help appreciated. Thanks.

I found a 100 mile training plan on google. It has been mentioned numerous times that contenders need to be building upto 10,000 ft per week/(3000 metres/week). I done a bit of manipulaton in Excel based on 100 miles = 3000 metres of climbing to create a training plan. I intend on basing my training on that. Living in south of Manchester it will get pretty challanging trying to get the climbing in. I will tidy the plan up a bit and stick it on my blog. I would be very interested in feed back on how relevant it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    You and Ian Charters inspired me to have a go. It was ace to see you (out helping someone else on Bowfell) and Ian (with his camera) on my round
    Like Mark, I am touched and humbled that I provided a little inspiration along the way. Thank you for the link to to that old blog - if Carlsberg made "days out on the fells" they would make BGR (& JNLC) training days!

Glory Days as Springsteen might have sung!

Every success to the "Class of 2015" and I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobster View Post
    I am possibly thinking about a 2015 attempt but need to get my head round the training and preparation. I wondered if any of you 2015 contenders have or are to willing to share a typical weekly training plan. Is a training plan for a BG dealt with in stages e.g autumn-work on speed and stamina; winter-get the strength from big climbs etc. I know there is a lot of good advice on the forums but I am trying to work out how I might structure training for this based on getting out 3/4 times a week (a couple of mid week evening runs and a longer weekend run). Any advice or help appreciated. Thanks.
    Bobster, I think a lot depends on where you are fitness-wise now / say in November. I'd suggest quite a lot of folk will simply up (off-road) mileage until Christmas, spend January to March pushing onto the next level and focussing on getting more climbing in, then do 10 to 12 weeks of specific training / recceing