Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The class of 2015

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPatrickBarry View Post
    I found a 100 mile training plan on google. It has been mentioned numerous times that contenders need to be building upto 10,000 ft per week/(3000 metres/week). I done a bit of manipulaton in Excel based on 100 miles = 3000 metres of climbing to create a training plan. I intend on basing my training on that. Living in south of Manchester it will get pretty challanging trying to get the climbing in. I will tidy the plan up a bit and stick it on my blog. I would be very interested in feed back on how relevant it is.
    Pat, as has been said many times on this forum the best focus for hours training is ups and downs rather than distance, time on feet rather than pure distance. I did much of my training for the rounds I have done in The Peak as opposed to The lakes. Multi ascents of kinder, up and down Whin Hill time after time etc. Living in S Manchester you have great access to The Goyt and Western edge of Kinder where all sorts of endless up and down fun can be invented. Also I don't think 10000 feet a week is necessary but to build up to that ability before your round and also have a few 10 hour days out is a key part of the build up. After that its psychological!!

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Mrs P is very well equipped for BG'ing. Stick us down for a leg or two
    Likewise Martyn, would be happy to help out.
    Geoff Clarke

.... and Me and Pat (If she's not too quick!!)

I will add my experience to the training, it is the downhill which gets most people not the climbing, so train for coming downhill, cycling using the stepper ect in the gym will not help with this, I am not saying don’t “cross train” but get to the hill whenever you can. Support other BG attempts, I learnt so much from this for my own round, you will get an idea of the speed you will need to move at as well as learning the route and eating ect. Just remember that supporting somebody on legs 4 and 5 and the speed they will be covering the ground will be now where near the same pace on leg 1 with fresh legs. I did one 9, two 10 and one 12 hour day on the route in my build up, add to that countless 5 to 8 hour runs on the hill. Mid week training was mostly road runs but the corner stone was a big hill run at weekends.

I never did the 10,000ft of climb per week although I was hitting this number for the 3 to 4 weeks before I tapered.

Martyn I am happy to help if needed.

ATB

Tahr
    Annan and District Athletic Club. http://www.adac.org.uk/

Thanks guys, much appreciated. She was getting some advice from Billy Bland today, so I don't doubt that she'll be giving it a bloody good go! If current form is anything to go by, we're all going to have to have our fast legs on in order to keep up with her!
    Martyn Price
    North Leeds Fell Runners

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    I will add my experience to the training, it is the downhill which gets most people not the climbing, so train for coming downhill, cycling using the stepper ect in the gym will not help with this, I am not saying don’t “cross train” but get to the hill whenever you can. Support other BG attempts, I learnt so much from this for my own round, you will get an idea of the speed you will need to move at as well as learning the route and eating ect. Just remember that supporting somebody on legs 4 and 5 and the speed they will be covering the ground will be now where near the same pace on leg 1 with fresh legs. I did one 9, two 10 and one 12 hour day on the route in my build up, add to that countless 5 to 8 hour runs on the hill. Mid week training was mostly road runs but the corner stone was a big hill run at weekends.

I never did the 10,000ft of climb per week although I was hitting this number for the 3 to 4 weeks before I tapered.

Martyn I am happy to help if needed.

ATB

Tahr
    One (possibly stupid) question. To which I think I know the answer, but the question sticks in my head. Is going backwards on a cross / eliptical trainer the same, or similar to descending? If not, what is it doing?
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com

I'd like to join the class of 2015. I haven't set any date for an attempt as my work keeps getting in the way when I'm long distance training and, as a self-employed artist, I can't turn down the chance to become rich and famous Even if it doesn't end up being in 2015, I am going to have an attempt at some point (which will be low-key as I hate lots of fuss and the pressure that brings) so I'd like to join in some recces and would love to help on Helen's attempt (and Louise's too). I've done a few supports now and I'm a good mule and motivator but my navigation needs some work. I'm also pretty good at road support having now done 5 of Stolly's attempts! I'm keen to go clockwise but have experience of both ways and like reccying both. So...that's my cv and I hope to see some of you soon

ps After November 21st, I can do recces in the week as well as at weekends as work is more manageable and I like a bit of lakes winter weather
    'The birds are the keepers of our secrets'

Well done Hes, I thought it would only be a matter of time the way you (..and Stolly) were going. Don't know what the area you were living in was like, but having moved to Ingleton I'm looking to have a big improvement in my hill work and running generally. Its a great boost having good hill routes on your doorstep.
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com

First time to post on the forum , I'm also going to have a go next year !! Will be able to help other people and would love to recce sections if anyone is interested
    Robert

It makes such a difference doesn't it? Where I lived before, I had to drive to get to decent hills (although there was some lovely trail running). Now they are on my doorstep! Its been a bit disappointing not to have been up a hill every day this summer but work has been a bit mad so I've slotted in short runs here and there with some hillier stuff as and when I get more time but from November I am going to change that and get out as often as I can. I am hoping to be much stronger and fitter this time next year I hope you are enjoying Ingleton.

Quote Originally Posted by that_fjell_guy View Post
    Well done Hes, I thought it would only be a matter of time the way you (..and Stolly) were going. Don't know what the area you were living in was like, but having moved to Ingleton I'm looking to have a big improvement in my hill work and running generally. Its a great boost having good hill routes on your doorstep.
    'The birds are the keepers of our secrets'