Thread: A speech for the defence

alwaysinjured

A speech for the defence

Rumours of my death are exaggerated. All are entitled to speech for defence, For anyone interested it is here.
    http://www.anniversarywaltz.co.uk/e1...fordefence.pdf

But nobody actually has to read it: those that are bored can sign off right here.
    But please? For just once, If there are replies , let us have them on topic. No sockpuppets, derailing, flaming, or baiting , anonymous sniping (from committee either) , or blatant ad hominem attacks are welcome on my thread.

That is my last word on the safety debate.

For the record, the entire issue always did p*ss me off more than the rest of you, having had a bellyfull of it past - long before the FRA issue, and I have better things to do - It needed saying, and I thought I could help.

It is a shame that runners do not readily accept the need to discuss it, nor FRA accept a presentation on how before it all got out of hand. Some of the tactics used to derail the debate were shameful.

My suggestion to members also is the company articles are just as much of a mess as the rules, and it is up to the members to change them, not the committee. But I shall bow out of that discussion.

For the record, the most common reaction I get when speaking of forum was succinctly expressed by a poster on the injuries thread. "As to your input into the safety debate, for what its worth I think you said what had to be said and raised some important issues. So you upset some people, the price of progress often" The sad thing is amongst them are RO, who do not feel able to say it themselves. That cannot be a good thing.

Committee should heed the conclusion easily proved - rules are not fit for purpose still.

Here endeth my comments on safety matters. I think all of us would do it a bit differently if it kicked off again. But heh thats life.

Rumours of my knees are not exaggerated, so I will certainly not be running any time soon, maybe never. So good luck to the rest of you.
    Last edited by alwaysinjured; 21-08-2014 at 05:16 PM.

Mike - I support most of what you say but I'll just pull you up on a couple of points.

Unlike most other RO, she is not doing any of it out of self interest...

I don't know many ROs who do it out of self interest. Sure there's one or two, doing it either for a little personal income or to draw a little bit of attention to themselves, but those ROs are very much the minority in my opinion.

People like me who own big social media properties are now grateful for facebook, because they
    force posting in own name....

There are spoofs on FB as well - haven't you ever come across Eggy John? Known I'm sure to one or two forumites
    Seems to have disappeared though these days.
    However they do tend to be humour lead and they can't hit and run as with a forum as they have to be a "Facebook friend" so there is a degree of protection from it.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Banned
    I read your link Mike and found it interesting, factual and honest.

Thanks

alwaysinjured
    Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    Mike - I support most of what you say but I'll just pull you up on a couple of points.

Unlike most other RO, she is not doing any of it out of self interest...

I don't know many ROs who do it out of self interest. Sure there's one or two, doing it either for a little personal income or to draw a little bit of attention to themselves, but those ROs are very much the minority in my opinion.

People like me who own big social media properties are now grateful for facebook, because they
    force posting in own name....

There are spoofs on FB as well - haven't you ever come across Eggy John? Known I'm sure to one or two forumites
    Seems to have disappeared though these days.
    However they do tend to be humour lead and they can't hit and run as with a forum as they have to be a "Facebook friend" so there is a degree of protection from it.

Not really intending to discuss it witton, but I do want that issue clarified.
    It proves how written word can convey wrong meaning.

My point is most RO and officials do it in origin because they run ( or because their kids have done), and so have taken advantage of other RO or marshalls, so do it themseleves to even the score. Self interested in maintaining the sport so they have races they can run. That is how I ended up running or marshalling throws competitions for most of a decade, ditto why I do fell race websites now.
    (including an FRA AL race, shortly to go on line!)

I was not suggesting remuneration. You are right to pull me up on that.

But wynn has never taken advantage of any of it. She has never run. So not obliged to put anything back. But she has done in spades for two decades I know of.
    Last edited by alwaysinjured; 21-08-2014 at 05:53 PM.

Why is this 'down the pub'??
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

alwaysinjured
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    Why is this 'down the pub'??
    Stirrer! - Because that's where Wittons thread on forums was, that led to a ban. I thought it sensible to put it same place. Keeping it out of the limelight. Is that an issue?
    Last edited by alwaysinjured; 21-08-2014 at 05:12 PM.

no issue. just thought you wanted calm discussion not pub banter s'all
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth