Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Edale Skyline?

Edale Skyline?

Hello,

I'm mainly looking for someone to tell me whether I'm being entirely unrealistic - any additional advice about getting started with running up hills is also marvellous.

I started running last spring, mostly on trails but without any massive hills. Am currently running 3 times a week and doing maybe 15 miles a week in total. I've been hillwalking since I was tiny (mainly Peak District and Lake District) because my parents are great and dragged us along as soon as we could manage it, and love mountains with a passion. I also have one hip which hates tarmac but is fine over rough ground. The logical conclusion to all of which is that I need to be fell running.

I've got my eye on the Edale Skyline because I've walked bits of the route for years. Is it remotely feasible for me to run it in 2015? I'm happy to run 3 times a week and keep upping my milage, and am in Derbyshire so have access to hills I can run up and down, but it is a Long Way, and I strongly suspect that a marathon training plan for nice smooth roads is not going to be much cop.

Thanks in advance, and please do say if I'm being overly optimistic.

just looking at the criteria for entry, which say that you must:

1. have completed 2 AL races in the last two years
    2. be able to demonstrate you can safely navigate your way round exposed fell terrain in potential winter conditions.

Not saying it's not feasible, but that might be a bit of a challenge for you at your current level. In general, I'd say try and up the mileage a bit, get in a long run of 15-ish miles once a week and do lots of hills!
    ....it's all downhill from here.

Hi Amy, firstly, there are entry requirements for Edale Skyline which state that you need to have done 2 grade AL fell races within the last 2 years so if you want to make sure you've got a chance of a place, you need to do a couple of those. Don't panic though as to be classified as an L the race will be over 12miles so they'd be good training for you but not necessarily as long as the skyline. The other thing is that the race takes place in March & conditions (weather wise) can be tough so you need to be able to cope with cold, clag etc & be able to navigate yourself around. I'm definitely not trying to put you off but it's good to go into it prepared. I'd advise that you get plenty of hills in over the next few months, have a look around for some AL races to have a bash at & see how you feel when it comes to the online entry day. It's a brilliant race but tough & there are time cut offs so you need to get your hill running practise in now. Good luck.
    'The birds are the keepers of our secrets'

Master
    Amy,
    I agree with Dave & Hes.
    You could (should?) aim to do a few long but not steep races this winter and then reassess in spring.
    Maybe consider starting with the Grin and Bear IT category CL (C for not steep but L for Long) this Nov 1 and chat to the RO and others at that race. It starts from Langsett and is in the forum race thread here.
    http://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/showt...-Bear-It-Nov-1
    There are not many AL races in the peak district and certainly few winter AL, so you might have to go further afield (Lakes and or Wales) for these. Thers is also the Trigger BL in January which is similar distance to Edale Skyline.
    There are some other good longish races like Roaches coming up soon.

Holme Moss in August is a tough Summer AL and, for example, if you worked up via some CL and BL races towards doing Holme Moss in Aug 2015 then you would probably be able to gauge whether you were ready for Edale Skyline (where the terrain is similar but the weather potentially worse).

It also helps if you are training regularly (e.g. once a week) with a fell club. In the Peak District, clubs like Dark Peak, Glossop (my club) and Pennine will have members who can look after you and give you valuable pointers to local races (and local race knowledge) as well as social banter etc. My fell running has come on leaps and bounds since I joined a fell club, and like you my previous injuries (back) mean I stick away from the roads for most of my running.
    Last edited by OB1; 23-08-2014 at 08:23 PM. Reason: fell clubs etc
    Powered by Ugali.

alwaysinjured
    It isn't just about entry conditions, it is early season so can be serious conditions, and it is longer than marathon in equivalent effort so pace judgement is vital - not a good time of year as a " first"

Why not take a shot at a stepping stone this year, like windgather, or (later cardington further afield) and build up to a summer AL later next year using such as kinder trog in the same area to build up distance?

LdWA challenge events are good for training over supported long routes over winter and spring too.
    Last edited by alwaysinjured; 23-08-2014 at 08:38 PM.

Master
    Hi again Amy.
    I forgot to add, for Peak District races, Steve Temple's excellent website is one you should bookmark.
    http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~temples/hc/
    There is a local race diary at the end of the homepage.
    You will get to meet most of the characters from the Peak District fell clubs and the camaraderie as well as friendly rivalry is great.
    If you can immerse yourself in some of these races over the next year (say one a month) then you will largely answer your own question in a year's time. Enjoy!
    Last edited by OB1; 23-08-2014 at 09:37 PM.