Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Telegraph article on BG

alwaysinjured
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Mole View Post
    an over-inflated sense of self-importance?
    "So, to all members of the Bob Graham Round 24 Hour Club – I pay you homage. I am not yet a worthy member, but hope to be before I hang up my trainers".
    The word "trainers" says it all!
    Problem is that article is bound to tempt a few that should not..

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysinjured View Post
    The word "trainers" says it all!
    Problem is that article is bound to tempt a few that should not..
    Do you really think so? I'd be surprised if someone did the BGR whimsically on the strength of this article alone. It's not an inspiring piece is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Smith View Post
    Do you really think so? I'd be surprised if someone did the BGR whimsically on the strength of this article alone. It's not an inspiring piece is it?
    Indeed.

We subscribers to The Daily Telegraph do not pay good money to read garbage such as this collection of breathless, post-Askwith, sporting endurance clichés and it will not appear in the newspaper.

The “article” appears to be on some meretricious TDT website where no true gentleman from the Shires would ever be found. I imagine its followers drive German cars of the **** ** or ****** ****** variety and I doubt if many of them will suddenly decide to do a BGR.

After all, a BG Round does sound a little more demanding than ordering a round of drinks.

Last edited by Graham Breeze; 30-08-2014 at 09:43 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

A write up in the Toriegraph. Thin end of the wedge

What next, a journalist from the Indie writing a book about Bob Grahaming?

Super Moderator
    I get a bit of a buzz every time someone from the media tries and fails, before saying just how tough the BG is. It's easy to forget what's involved when you've done one in the past and it's a while ago
    Poacher turned game-keeper

alwaysinjured
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Smith View Post
    I guess the seed of attempting it is the discovery it exist , so sparking an interest in finding out more about it - and with the billing of it being the " hardest" it is bound to attract more. SI the origins of some attempts may well be in this promotion.

I discovered the article as an Alan Hinkes retweet so there is a considerable audience just heard about it, some for the first time. Hinksy is a prolific tweeter!

I quite like it on Bowfell, it's a great view on a clear day!

This is ok I think. The piece is a bit self consciously jaunty ... "Thought we'd just pitch up and have a bash, ha!" .... but importantly doesn't make light of the task. The most dangerous coverage is the kind which seems to suggest those who are fit in other respects can have a go: anyone acquainted with the BG would understand that familiarity with the route is essential and that's the conclusion these two guys reach

'the eighth highest mountain in England and the fourth highest in the Lake District'?

Of course - there's the famous Four Sisters of Suffolk that just pip Bowfell

Inaccuracies and a certain in-built dis-like of this kind of article aside, I thought it was OK and pretty balanced - it certainly wouldn't give anyone the idea that the BGR is something to be taken lightly that's for sure.