Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ankle Sprain Recovery?

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire View Post
    You think really no running, not even on the flat/roads?
    None whatsoever. Don't run again until you can roll your ankle over in standing and put all your weight on it. You can't escape the fact that you are looking at many months out, this cannot be sidestepped or cheated.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    None whatsoever. Don't run again until you can roll your ankle over in standing and put all your weight on it. You can't escape the fact that you are looking at many months out, this cannot be sidestepped or cheated.
    Bugger.

Ok, it sounds like sensible advice - I suppose it'll be better in the long run, than causing more damage. Cheers for the advice, I'm going to have to get used to spending more time on the road bike.

I'll see about finding a local running physio to talk to as well, and will start doing balance exercises.

The wobble cushion I was loaned is a flat-ish inflatable pillow with knobbles on it. It has a valve on the side that takes a football inflator, so I guess its the type that you can vary the pressure. I'll start using this as well.
    Last edited by Vampire; 13-09-2014 at 08:33 PM.

Where are you based? Be good to get a recommendation for someone to see

Swindon, so Thames Valley, Oxford, Bath etc would be my area. Cheers.

Master
    I have a pretty tough personal experience with glass ankles- 3 and a half years ago I twisted my right ankle on an Edale Skyline recce and had to go about 10k back to the car. Got in that night and predictably it was swollen but I had a race in Ireland a month later I wanted to do, so I rested, did that (it still wasn't healed) and had another month off. So 2 months after the ankle injury I did one last race- Coniston, then went to do a race the week after, went over again and didn't run for 3 years. I've just started again now and there is clearly some permanent damage there, but I cross train and manage it as well as possible- but listen to your body, its taken 3 years of trying and failing for me to be able to get any consistent levels of training in.

All the best
    Trying to plod up hills every day slightly faster than the day before

That's a fairly similar story to my right knee there Tom, you don't realise how long serious connective tissue damage takes to get right again. Neither do a lot of other people; i'm constantly getting wittered at by people in my family who know very little to just pack it in completely, bad and good advice can come in equal measures.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    That's a fairly similar story to my right knee there Tom, you don't realise how long serious connective tissue damage takes to get right again. Neither do a lot of other people; i'm constantly getting wittered at by people in my family who know very little to just pack it in completely, bad and good advice can come in equal measures.
    The hardest part of the whole thing for me was the depression (more sadness and anger) at not being able to do what I'd done for years. Every time I tried to start training again, I'd get a good week in and then bam it would flare up- wait another 6 months, same story but each time I got all excited. Nowadays I'm aware that if it goes, it is going to be a long lay off, and that's the thing with a chronic injury that recurs....it doesn't mean you have to quit doing what you love, but it does mean you have to re-evaluate things so that your morale isn't destroyed if it goes again and again and you just end up being thankful for what you can do.

Like you've been very similar Luke, comebacks and then lay offs- but in a way it makes the time you can run or are running more beautiful?

Cross training helps- I do a lot of weights work now which I would say you could hit real hard- core and upper body and as long as you don't overeat to bulk, your running will see some definite improvements. Use a bike or swim, and that way you are less tempted to come back early and risk reinjury.

All the best
    Trying to plod up hills every day slightly faster than the day before

Quote Originally Posted by TurboTom View Post
    The hardest part of the whole thing for me was the depression (more sadness and anger) at not being able to do what I'd done for years. Every time I tried to start training again, I'd get a good week in and then bam it would flare up- wait another 6 months, same story but each time I got all excited. Nowadays I'm aware that if it goes, it is going to be a long lay off, and that's the thing with a chronic injury that recurs....it doesn't mean you have to quit doing what you love, but it does mean you have to re-evaluate things so that your morale isn't destroyed if it goes again and again and you just end up being thankful for what you can do.

Like you've been very similar Luke, comebacks and then lay offs- but in a way it makes the time you can run or are running more beautiful?

Cross training helps- I do a lot of weights work now which I would say you could hit real hard- core and upper body and as long as you don't overeat to bulk, your running will see some definite improvements. Use a bike or swim, and that way you are less tempted to come back early and risk reinjury.

All the best
    Yeah the mood swings can border on self destruction at times. Weights will be an issue for my knees without doubt at the moment; if i can just get going again i think i know everything there is to know about what has happened and what to do to reduce the risk of recurrence. My long term plan is to try and be a competetive V40, there isn't a sensible plan in the mix to be going good to very good any sooner.

You're right about re-evaluation of your goals, it's absolutely key to accept that you've got the hand you've got and move forward as your cards dictate.

Super Moderator
    I noticed you were back running Tom (on Stef's fb). Good news mate
    Poacher turned game-keeper

[if you are back running then I hope all is good.
    I badly sprained my ankle pre fellsman in 2012 and also went to casualty in case it was broken.
    In fact a week later after much RICE I strapped it up and did the Fellsman.
    It mended OK.april12 ankle 008.jpg