Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ankle Sprain Recovery?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    Yeah the mood swings can border on self destruction at times. Weights will be an issue for my knees without doubt at the moment; if i can just get going again i think i know everything there is to know about what has happened and what to do to reduce the risk of recurrence. My long term plan is to try and be a competetive V40, there isn't a sensible plan in the mix to be going good to very good any sooner.

You're right about re-evaluation of your goals, it's absolutely key to accept that you've got the hand you've got and move forward as your cards dictate.
    I don't do any weights work that requires use of the legs....just two dumbbells and a different muscle set each day.... running and cycling is for the legs
    Trying to plod up hills every day slightly faster than the day before

I've started doing a bit more walking, on trails but am wearing Lowa boots to give me some ankle support in case the weak one starts to turn and I don't catch it.

I went up/down Pen y Fan from the A470 side yesterday, that went ok, though was a bit nerve racking walking over all the loose rocks. I bought a pair of Mountain King poles which helped a lot with balance/stability. I'll stick in boots for a month or two longer, then start walking in trail shoes.

Vampire

I've not read the entire thread, but what treatment have you had since May? Just a quick summary.

SR
    If you're not running fast enough, walk instead!!

Vampire, how old are you? This can affect recovery time.
    I stuffed my ankle up last year....the end process of years of more minor injuries. The thing took 6 months before I could run normally again but the real issue is 'going for it' on rough descents.
    I looked at Andy Murray...he plays top level tennis with ankle braces. So I took a leaf out of his book and got an aircast ankle brace. Not cheap at £50 but it makes ALL the difference. I now race and train in it. It lasts about a year before it wears out. But I can honestly say you don't notice it when running and it gives you the confidence to go hard.
    Try one...here it is. http://www.physioroom.com/product/Ai...LHcaAtBD8P8HAQ
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

No treatment other than R.I.C.E initially, then lots of rest, and then not running on it (much), I've done a few balance exercise on a balance cushion, I've also used the ankle twist prevention program on my Compex Runner (which uses electro-stimulation to build the muscles), but nothing very regular (busy job and new baby in the house). I'm 40.

It's actually improved noticeably in the last few weeks, my ankle doesn't swell during the day at work now, or after a short (5km) road run. I still feel pain if I try cranking it over and standing with my weight on it, so clearly not there yet. I feel if I tried trail running now I'd almost certainly turn it again, so I'll continue with the cycling, mountain walking (in boots and with poles), and maybe the odd short road run around the village.

I have a Zamst ankle support but it makes my arch hurt when I run in it, I'll have a look at that aircast one though, thanks for the tip.

Edit: My Zamst looks really similar to that Aircast, maybe I had it done up too tight when I tried running in it. I'll give it another go.
    Last edited by Vampire; 02-10-2014 at 09:53 AM.

Such injuries are very poorly diagnosed, because the lack of muscular skeletal knowledge of some practitioners in the NHS. Firstly, you would need to rule out what is causing the recurrent ankle sprain...Is there a possibility of ankle hypermobility??. In addition, the simple advice of R.I.C.E post injury will not help strengthen the ligaments prior to being torn hence its important to do some proprioception work on the ankle once the acute phase has passed and you can weight bear. I work for a sports injury clinic that has treated many pro level athletes. Pm for any further advice. Best

p.s would definitely recommend the aircast ankle brace, its used by pro tennis player Andy Murray who was struggling with recurrent ankle issues earlier in his career.
    Last edited by chiropractor; 16-11-2014 at 09:34 PM.

Cheers for the reply, oddly I saw a physio about it last week. I do have hypermobility (assuming that's where the joint is now looser than it should be?) and she has given me some exercises to do, for proprioception and balance/flexibility. She also did some massage on the ligament I tore, and some ultrasound therapy. A week later and it's WAY better than it was.

I'll definitely look into the Aircast, she recommended I get one of those also.

I couldn't race without mine now.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

I rolled my ankle pretty bad 3 days ago, unfortunately I was 3 miles from my car so had to hobble back, I know that's not ideal but didn't have any other choice really. Its now ballooned up and heavily bruised. I know I've got a good few weeks/months of repair/physio, but I'm also really worried about getting back out on the fells when its fully recovered. I've always been a steady descender but now I'll be even worse. Think I'll have to check out this Aircast, but theres also numerous ankle support bandages available to run in. Anyone had any experience with these?

I used to run with an ankle support and a pair of Walsh fell boots which together provide some reasonable degree of support after some pretty nasty ankle sprains. one particularly memorable sprain was done on Caw in the duddon valley and I had to run\hobble back over the fells to the 3 shires stone. Not my brightest idea.I think in my case the wearing of a support and slight subconcious adaptation to my running style has brought chronic injury problems over time. My advice (which I probably would have ignored myself 2 years ago) would be to really invest time in rehabilitating your strength, proprioception and muscle recruitment before you go near the fells again.support or not. I think they also restrict your natural ankle movement to a degree.