Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Ankle Sprain Recovery?

Quote Originally Posted by TurboTom View Post
    So I did my ankle back on May 9th, it was pretty nasty. I started running again and it's generally fine when I run, but the day after it's painful at the back of my ankle bone on the instep (if you get that), especially when I flex my foot up. What is this? Anybody got experience of it? Cheers
    I've got a minor problem in this area which seems to be associated with forefoot striking, i think it's the Posterior Tibial Tendon, but that's just my anecdotal opinion!
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

I went over on my ankle about 4 miles into a local race. Nothing new there. I managed to hobble the 2 miles back to the finish but wasn't happy as it felt different to when I normally twist my ankle. I went to a drop in center the next day and an X ray showed I had snapped my 5th metatarsal. I've been in a fracture boot for the four weeks since. The actual twist wasn't that bad and my ankle is ok. I suppose the message is that an ankle twist can be more serious so if in doubt get it checked.

Hi this is an old thread but wondering how easy it is to do Medial Subtalar Joing Gliding to improve foot EVERSION? I have been running for few months my right foot supinate and tibia rotates inward when i try to land with straight leg.my both feet overpronates this leg s been pointing outward always until i tried to run with good form.its nothing to do with tight muscle or tendons.3 months of google reading i have come across its ankle joint stiffness aka subtalar joint rather than tight muscles.by the way i have no money to go to Chiropractor or Pt Nor have insuranse to cover these costs.looking to manipulate the joint myself.thanks

Since hurting my left foot I keep going over the same ankle (Inversion) . Been told to do one leg stands on wobble board. Tried it last night. Is that how its done?

It was more wobbly when I turned the board upside down.
    Last edited by Adnan Khan; 22-01-2016 at 10:40 AM.

_|_
    ./\.

Quote Originally Posted by Adnan Khan View Post
    Since hurting my left foot I keep going over the same ankle (Inversion) . Been told to do one leg stands on wobble board. Tried it last night. Is that how its done?

It was more wobbly when I turned the board upside down.
    That's a BOSU ball and it's the best thing for ankle stability exercises, use it stood on the flat side with the ball down. Keep going with it until you can stand on one foot with your eyes closed and with your limbs not flailing around, that's the level i'm at and it didn't take too much work. You need to be at the point where if someone looked at you from the waist up only you'd look like you were just standing there with your eyes shut. I learnt to get on it by gently jumping on and landing with my feet perfectly placed, it adds a new area to work on and challenges you more. You can do delt raises and things too, anything to destabilise you.

Edit- It's key you learn to stand on the thing with your eyes shut. Loss of visual references will boost the functionality of your nervous system a lot over time, depending on how much you practice.
    Last edited by mr brightside; 22-01-2016 at 04:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    That's a BOSU ball and it's the best thing for ankle stability exercises, use it stood on the flat side with the ball down. Keep going with it until you can stand on one foot with your eyes closed and with your limbs not flailing around, that's the level i'm at and it didn't take too much work. You need to be at the point where if someone looked at you from the waist up only you'd look like you were just standing there with your eyes shut. I learnt to get on it by gently jumping on and landing with my feet perfectly placed, it adds a new area to work on and challenges you more. You can do delt raises and things too, anything to destabilise you.

Edit- It's key you learn to stand on the thing with your eyes shut. Loss of visual references will boost the functionality of your nervous system a lot over time, depending on how much you practice.
    Thanks for a bright response . As you can see I am very wobbly on my left (injured) foot. I will definitely stick to it couple of times a week. How often did you use to do and for how long?

_|_
    ./\.

Quote Originally Posted by Adnan Khan View Post
    Thanks for a bright response . As you can see I am very wobbly on my left (injured) foot. I will definitely stick to it couple of times a week. How often did you use to do and for how long?
    Once a week, but for about 2yrs continuous. I used to do all my shoulder weights on a bosu with the gaps in between sets used to balance eyes closed on one leg.

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    Once a week, but for about 2yrs continuous. I used to do all my shoulder weights on a bosu with the gaps in between sets used to balance eyes closed on one leg.
    Thanks for a bright idea , will try to do the weights exercises while on a bosu.

_|_
    ./\.

Mini-update from me, it's been a while since I started this thread in Sept 2014!

Well I took it fairly easy for a few months, then started doing some hill walks in boots, and once the trails dried out progressed to running with a Zamst ankle brace. For months and months I'd get swelling after every run, though no pain. The ankle felt (still feels) considerably "looser" and "crunchier" than my good ankle, I think I'll have issues with it for life now unfortunately. I did sucessfully make it round the Cross du Mont Blanc in June 2015, and managed to make it round a couple of UK trail marathons and a short trail Ultra (day 3 of Druids) last year. I rarely wear the ankle brace now except on long events when I know I'm going to be tired and more prone to rolling it again.

Interestingly I had a month off running after Christmas due to flu and chest infection. I didn't lose much fitness but the first couple of runs afterwards the bad ankle swelled up like an orange. It's back to normal again now, that's normal for me though obviously, it's not perfect. I have a few races planned for 2016, and I'm assessing them on a case by case basis, if I know they'll be easy trails I won't wear the brace, but if I know there's going to be a lot of mud or loose rocks I'll wear it, or at least tuck it in my running vest.