Thread: Whooping Cough

Master

Whooping Cough

Anyone had it? I was diagnosed 2 weeks ago having started coughing in mid July. Coughs got worse in late July August with 24 hours of severe coughing fits including gasping for breath. 3 visits to A and E and one emergency ambulance when I was gasping for breath at Commonwealth games like a severe asthma attack. Now 8 weeks on with a diagnosis things are a little better. Still coughing 15-20 times a day and have been told it could last for 2 more months yet. its a miserable experience and one I never imagined I'd have as an adult. Any one else suffered. how long till I might resume exercise. can I do something now?

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    my sympathies! I had it a couple of years ago and had very much the same experience as you with various misdiagnoses before realising what it was. Mine started in April and I did a 10k at the end of June but wad still coughing and spluttering then. it did seem to take an eternity to clear up completely but I guess it was about 3 months before I could start training again. Good luck!
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Whooping cough (pertussis) could be an extremely contagious tract infections . In many folks, it's marked by a hacking cough followed by a high-pitched intake of breath that looks like "whoop". Before the immunizing agent was developed, pertussis respiratory illness was thought-about a childhood disease.

Quote Originally Posted by rickykendall View Post
    Whooping cough (pertussis) could be an extremely contagious tract infections . In many folks, it's marked by a hacking cough followed by a high-pitched intake of breath that looks like "whoop". Before the immunizing agent was developed, pertussis respiratory illness was thought-about a childhood disease.
    Unfortunately it's on the rise. People over recent years have devevloped a suspicion of vaccines and have forgotten how serious whooping cough can be for little'uns as they don't see it that much any more (very unpleasent for anyone else who catches it too). Less people immunised results in a reduced heard immunity; so it's definately kicking about again.

Master
    I am now 3 months approx. 90 days in and cough has reduced but still occasional whoops even now. Its left some damage to my throat that I hope repairs itself in time. But since having it I have met several adults who have had it and have reported how debilitating it has been. One fell runner reports that after the cough went it took him nearly 6 months to get back to full fitness.