Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Matt Neale - BG 18/9

Anybody know what the weather was like up there today.

6:55 suppose he still has over an hour to go!

Well done Matt. Bloody good effort.

Well done, not in the "club" but I hope you had a great day out.

Hi

Thanks all for your comments. This was a bit of a lower key effort as I'd always fancied just running the route and not getting caught up in the all associated faff with full on support, (my 'official' round was in 2011, 21:29). Just told a few mates and said turn up if you like, I carried all my own food so was not reliant on anyone showing up. So, me and the dog were joined on Leg 1 and Leg 2 ,but Legs 3,4& 5 were solo. Another mate arrived with a flask at the road crossings, so that was a nice help.

I lost an hour during darkness due to the clag, which was well down. Had trouble locating the motorway along the Dodds and probably handrailed it along most of the ridge. Also had a bit of an unintentional diversion round Grisedale Tarn due to chatting!

Dawn was around Sergeant Man and Friday was just glorious. It was very warm and a couple of the usual springs were dry on leg 4 which I was a bit concerned about, but managed to wring out some sphagnum to top up.

A great day out and good to help out James with some tracker testing as it's added a useful dimension to all this kind of stuff.

cheers
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Matt N View Post
    Hi

Thanks all for your comments. This was a bit of a lower key effort as I'd always fancied just running the route and not getting caught up in the all associated faff with full on support, (my 'official' round was in 2011, 21:29). Just told a few mates and said turn up if you like, I carried all my own food so was not reliant on anyone showing up. So, me and the dog were joined on Leg 1 and Leg 2 ,but Legs 3,4& 5 were solo. Another mate arrived with a flask at the road crossings, so that was a nice help.

I lost an hour during darkness due to the clag, which was well down. Had trouble locating the motorway along the Dodds and probably handrailed it along most of the ridge. Also had a bit of an unintentional diversion round Grisedale Tarn due to chatting!

Dawn was around Sergeant Man and Friday was just glorious. It was very warm and a couple of the usual springs were dry on leg 4 which I was a bit concerned about, but managed to wring out some sphagnum to top up.

A great day out and good to help out James with some tracker testing as it's added a useful dimension to all this kind of stuff
    Bloody good effort Matt, I understand your thinking completely. I'd quite like to have a go at something like this myself, just alone and carrying my own grub.
    Martyn Price
    North Leeds Fell Runners

Quote Originally Posted by Matt N View Post

but managed to wring out some sphagnum to top up.
    Kind of want to Bear Grylls style meets the BG - but not sure that fella has a place here. Nice story. thanks for tracker testing.

The other SIM on the whole worked much the same as ours, marginally better. For me it was good to see it working in the Lakes as our trackers do, they have a bigger pool of trackers I can hire in for events and I wanted to see how well they work.
    James

Diabetes is not an excuse its a reason www.howfast.org