Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The 70s

The 70s

What culture is memorable from the 70s?
    And known to younger generations, whether we realise it's from the 70s or not?

The best I could come up with was the Star Wars theme & Imperial march (although Empire wasn't released until 1980). To which you'd have to add Star Wars itself.

What else is the lasting legacy of 70s culture? I know of Pink Floyd live at Pompeii (but I'm downright weird) and the Clangers (November 1969) is about to be back.. go on, how much truly survives in the young, popular consciousness?

And does anyone know what modern classical music came from the 70s? That one is not easy on a Google search..

Ridley Scott's 'Alien'.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Pink Floyd Live at Pompeii the Waters/ Mason part of Echoes is the greatest . My Mam putting the telly on to warm up so I could watch Mary, Mungo & Midge, my first digital watch, Palitoy Star Wars figures, Nick Drake, Monty Python.

Banned
    Bay City Rollers

More tartan even in them days.

Banned
    Leeds win league and get to European Cup final and get robbed by a ref against Bayern .

For me, the memorable things of the seventies were all crap: rubbish music like the Bee Gees, flares and awful brown clothes. This was all remembered in retrospect of course, being 6 when the eighties started.

Like all decades however, the seventies are remembered for their final years. And often misremembered as the early years of the following decade. For me, the brash positiveness of the eighties was a welcome counterpoint.

I'd be interested to know who liked the seventies and what age they were. People tend to love wherever they go to university. And I think this is due to the great times people tend to have rather than the location. Perhaps it's the same with decades. Will people who were 13-23 in the seventies love it?

Sorry LJ, I'm not cultured enough to comment on classical music from the seventies. Chariots of fire was very popular but was 1981 (so Wikipedia tell me).

Digital watches and multiplex cinemas, Steven Spielberg, cassette music tapes.
    No country for old men.

Super Moderator
    Buzzcocks, T-Rex, Roxy Music, Philly, the golden period of Jamaican roots reggae music, CAMRA, two league championships for the Rams
    Poacher turned game-keeper

As a boy growing up in Nottingham, it's a decade marked by football, with Nottingham Forest winning two European Cups on the bounce (1979 and 1980) and winning the top flight upon having been promoted from the second tier that same season. When you're seven, these things are remarkable and you can't quite believe they are happening in your town. Brian Clough's wit, grating voice but compelling personality (like or loathe) summed up a decade where great things were possible by scruffy underdogs in a way that doesn;t seem to happen so much thesedays.

Music-wise, it's hard to think of anything typical throughout the 70s. I think there were some incredible things going on and such a lot of crap also and i can't think of anyone who was consistently good across the decade. Queen were huge but patchy with a few highs (Queen II, News of the World) and lots of lows (Jazz, Live Killers were truly rank), Pink Floyd were arguably consistent although it's hard to maintain the quality from Meddle to Wish You Were Here across the rest of the decade (Animals was alright...) and many of the other great bands didn't last the decade.

But if anything sums up the decade, it's the Ford Cortina - Mk III and IV.
    Last edited by Mark Smith; 20-09-2014 at 11:00 PM.

Started in the early 70s riding one of these :

Lambretta GP 200

Finished the 70s riding one of these :

Honda CX500

No country for old men.