Page 42 of 42 FirstFirst ... 32404142

Thread: The Trigger

The beautiful sound of tumbleweed.
    There you have it folks: it seems that it doesn't matter if you take a shortcut on a fell race, even with explicit out of bounds areas. Nothing to see here.

(disclaimer. If someone takes exception to you, however, I'm sure that a rule will be found in order to exclude you from the race, even if others fall foul of the same rule and are ignored).

Perhaps you should email the organisers and bring it up with them... would be interesting to hear the outcome.

Feeling a little guilty as I poked this hornets nest to start with.

If the runners are happy with the published results then who am I to argue and causing the organisers grief was not my intention.

Having said that I do agree with Zephr, that in having out of bounds areas that are blatantly ignored and then not taking any action against offenders is surely a waste of everyone's time.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

This is probably quite a headache for the race organiser. I suspect the out of bounds areas are required by the landowner, so this ongoing debate won't help future requests (perhaps hence the tumbleweed you experienced Zephr). And now they might be in a quandary about whether to retrospectively punish people and what the threshold of infringement is. Also, do you only punish people whose Strava course you can see? That seems unfair to others who might also have gone the wrong way.

On a broader perspective, this demonstrates that if you have out of bounds areas, it would probably help to have stated punishments up front - perhaps something to consider for future events. Measures to ensure people go the right way at key points (e.g., extra marshals, taped sections) could also help. Although I don't know the practicalities of these in this instance, and I realise both of these add to the burden on the race organiser.

Quote Originally Posted by zephr View Post
    The beautiful sound of tumbleweed.
    There you have it folks: it seems that it doesn't matter if you take a shortcut on a fell race, even with explicit out of bounds areas. Nothing to see here.

(disclaimer. If someone takes exception to you, however, I'm sure that a rule will be found in order to exclude you from the race, even if others fall foul of the same rule and are ignored).
    I'm out with the RO doing some night Nav training tomorrow, I'll ask if he received it.

PS you don't need any rule to exclude some one from a race.
    Last edited by IanDarkpeak; 25-01-2022 at 11:19 PM.