Page 34 of 43 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: The Trigger

Master
    Very disappointing. I was hoping for an epic, so the runners could all get lost again and I could get a good result by a fast walk in the right direction...

Are you going for number four at the Trigger ba-ba?

Not this year. Letting someone else have a crack
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffB View Post

Pennine take a mini-bus from New Mills/Hayfield to Marsden and some mug volunteers to drive it every year!
    A couple of seats are available on the Pennine Trigger Fun Bus, departing New Mills at 645am and Hayfield 7am. with a run back from Edale after the race (Glossop also possible - pick up only)

Drop us a line if you are interested

Master
    Should we assume that the Black Hill / Sliddens route is the same as last year?

I'm doing Trigger for the first time on Sunday. My first race of this distance as well. The website says there will be water provided at Crowden and Snake Top. Are you allowed to fill up water bottles or do you just get a cup? I was looking a photos on Flickr and there's a lot of people drinking from cups but saw no one filling up bottles. If there's not enough for people fill up then I'm not sure how to get enough. Do people carry all their water all the way?

Master
    I'll be drinking from streams

Orval... filling up your bottles is never usually a problem. Although as Toreador says, there are a number of streams en-route which are usually flowing quite fast, so you won't be short of water!

It'll be my fourth Trigger.

My top tips...

1) You'll probably feel over-warm on the initial section to the first road crossing, as quite sheltered down by the reservoirs. Don't go stripping off, because as soon as you hit Black Hill you'll end up having to get all those layers back on again! Just live with it for half an hour and save yourself the time and messing about.

2) It's still a long way back from Snake Pass. Save something for the long run around the edge, and then however you choose to get back to Edale.

3) Most importantly, have your map accessible, and if at all unsure, get it out rather than following those in front. I made a bit of an error last year, and took about 30 people with me.... at the time i was in the top 20 or 30 so you would have thought they were pretty experienced and knew the route, but in poor visibility it can be a bit of a nightmare.

It's a great race, and perhaps one of the biggest examples of the year where route finding and mountain-sense trump actual speed.

Thanks Travs! Great tips. I did wonder about streams but thought they'd contain traces of sheep

I've done a fair bit of reconnoitring but no further south than CP 6. I was hoping the Pennine Way would be obvious from there onwards. My primary goal is just to finish so I'm not looking at crafty route choices just yet.

Master
    What's car parking like near the start? I've seen we can't park at the cricket club, so where's the nearest parking?