Page 36 of 43 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 ... LastLast

Thread: The Trigger

Hard lines Travs. DrPatrickBarry is right, it was nuts on the edge of the plateau. The globs of water being blown back up from Kinder Downfall were frozen by the time they hit you. Toreador I could do with a jacket like that, I have a cheap one from Decathlon and I was wet all the way.

My primary aim was just to finish, which I did so I'm glad about that. Would have liked to have been faster than 7:20! Perhaps running with a pulled muscle in my back wasn't the best idea but I'd been preparing for so long I couldn't bring myself to drop out. I also managed to slip going up Lawrence Edge and head butted a rock. Got a right old shiner.

Thanks for the tips folks, they turned out to be very helpful. It was a good learning experience for long distance stuff. (I'd never run for more that 3 hours before this.) I've learnt that Jelly Babies and chocolate covered raisins do not sit well with me. I was really flagging between checkpoints 4 and 6, but had more energy after that thanks to Clif Bars. Taste awful though

Fantastic stuff Orval.... that's a big jump from 3hrs to 7. It's always a long way back around the edge of Kinder.

On the subject of food/fuel... everyone is different. Pork Scratchings for me.

Quote Originally Posted by orval View Post
    H I've learnt that Jelly Babies and chocolate covered raisins do not sit well with me.
    I got food poisoning Friday night from a curry, spend the whole night with stuff pouring out from both ends.
    Ate nothing on Saurday before having a bowl of soup at 23:00.
    I had a delicate balance on Sunday knowing that I could not do a race of that lenght without eating but I was still feeling a bit queezy. For me a few Jelly Babies were the easiest to get down, I really struggled with the little Aldi mars bars.
    Last edited by DrPatrickBarry; 14-01-2019 at 12:22 PM.

My first Trigger too. Would just like to thank Tim and Dave, passing acquaintances for all of 30 seconds ascending onto Kinder plateau, who noticed me staggering from side to side (not just due to the wind) and stopped to give me a swig of lucozade, pull up my hood and zip and ask me if I was ok. I'd been seeing flashing lights for about an hour but the sugary drink perked me up for the last section. Thanks guys.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by bollygill View Post
    My first Trigger too. Would just like to thank Tim and Dave, passing acquaintances for all of 30 seconds ascending onto Kinder plateau, who noticed me staggering from side to side (not just due to the wind) and stopped to give me a swig of lucozade, pull up my hood and zip and ask me if I was ok. I'd been seeing flashing lights for about an hour but the sugary drink perked me up for the last section. Thanks guys.
    Hi Gill, Actually, it was Iain S and James R who stopped to 'feed' you, but in the conditions I can understand you not getting our names correct - I could hardly hear myself think in the maelstrom! I didn't want to lug all of that Lucozade up Kinder, so I was glad that you could reduce my load by drinking some of it! :-) Congrats on the first FV50 place - good job! After the Lucozade, you seemed to be steadier, and it's amazing how much warmer a wind-proof hood can make you. Cheers, Iain

Quote Originally Posted by DrPatrickBarry View Post
    Interesting to see a V70 (Mick Cochrane) completed in the first half of those who finished.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Savage View Post
    Hi Gill, Actually, it was Iain S and James R who stopped to 'feed' you, but in the conditions I can understand you not getting our names correct
    Thank you Iain and James!

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Interesting to see a V70 (Mick Cochrane) completed in the first half of those who finished.
    I don't know Mick, but saw him getting his prize, would never have guessed he is over 70!

Quote Originally Posted by DrPatrickBarry View Post
    I don't know Mick, but saw him getting his prize, would never have guessed he is over 70!
    And I hope you say that about me!!!
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".