Page 38 of 43 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast

Thread: The Trigger

Trigger has got the go ahead for Sunday August 1st 2021. Brent has opened up entries again for this week as the numbers of pre-entries who have now confirmed is low. https://www.sientries.co.uk/event.ph...&event_id=7645

All money goes to Woodhead Mountain Rescue. Thanks Nicky

..and so it returns..entries filling up fast. This is not your average race, a long distance navigationally challenging fell race in mid winter. a very strict kit check and every runner vetted on entry.

It here so good luck.

http://www.marsdentoedale.co.uk/details.htm

Marsden to Edale - Trigger Race

2022 Race Information

Entry

The race can only be entered by following the SI Entries link at the bottom of this section. Please read the following before entering:

1) We will check Previous Experience when you enter and you will initially be placed on a Pre-Selection list. We will aim to send out an email confirming your acceptance. 2) The race is £20 to enter FRA Members and £24 Non FRA members

To enter please use www.sientries.co.uk

Kit to be worn or carried:

Full waterproof jacket and bottoms (with taped seams), shoes suitable for fell running, long sleeved top, head torch, emergency bag, hat and gloves, map (the Dark Peak map which just excludes Marsden is acceptable) compass, whistle and some emergency food is the minimum kit.

There will be a full kit check before Registration giving everybody the chance to make sure they have the required kit. There will be spot checks on route and at the finish. The FRA have made it clear that not carrying the required kit will result in a ban from all fell races and we will uphold that policy.

Registration

In Marsden Cricket Club (SE 044 106 - just below the Golf Course) from 7am to 9.15am. Sportident dibber and Race number will be provided on the day. Do not park cars in the car park as this will be closed from midday. Toilets will hopefully be provided in the club house. It will be possible to transfer 25KG ONLY bags of kit to Edale - a van will be located before the Start lanes at Marsden Cricket ground.

This is a fantastic race. Easily equivalent to a Wasdale/Ennerdale/Buttermere (if not worse) in terms of difficulty, due to the navigational aspect and the time of year. Only need to read back a handful of pages on here to get a taste of what it can be like.

I'm in
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Good luck Llani.... it clashes with XC for me, and as i mentioned elsewhere, i'm done with trying to double up and run well on consecutive days!

I was sad to read the news that IanDarkpeak isn't running any more because of injuries. My sympathy to you Ian.
    That news adds to the challenge of the race though. My Bleaklow crossing in the snow was quicker by (ahem) "chasing" IDP from Lawrence Edge to Bleaklow Head. Using Ian's line we popped into Wildboar Clough at the same time as my mates who had been somewhat in front of me when we crossed the reservoir.

Mates and Ian drifted off in front as I faded over Kinder...

Happy days.

First time i did the Trigger i went past Ian near to Kinder Downfall.

Never saw him again until i got to the finish and he was already there.

I was gobsmacked, considering i'd taken what i assumed to be a quick and direct route down off Kinder Low.

He does know his way around the peak doesn't he.

Indeed that year I mentioned, shortly after climing Lawrence Edge, I saw Ian heading off on a line over Bleaklow all by himself and thought 'why not, lets see where Ian is going'. He threaded us along a really 'efficient' runnable line through a couple of groughs to join into Wildboar Clough near the top. I did compliment and thank Ian at the time - hope he heard me through the weather and my panting.

I do know my way around Bleaklow well, so I knew I wouldn't be lost if I lost track of my "guide" i.e. I wasn't just chasing after someone into unknown territory. I did know that every other time I had tried taking the line Ian was headed towards, rather than following the main trod around the edge it had taken me much longer though. It was a gamble and happily my bet on Ian paid off.

Quote Originally Posted by PiesAreGood View Post
    I was sad to read the news that IanDarkpeak isn't running any more because of injuries. My sympathy to you Ian.
    That news adds to the challenge of the race though. My Bleaklow crossing in the snow was quicker by (ahem) "chasing" IDP from Lawrence Edge to Bleaklow Head. Using Ian's line we popped into Wildboar Clough at the same time as my mates who had been somewhat in front of me when we crossed the reservoir.

Mates and Ian drifted off in front as I faded over Kinder...

Happy days.
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    First time i did the Trigger i went past Ian near to Kinder Downfall.

Never saw him again until i got to the finish and he was already there.

I was gobsmacked, considering i'd taken what i assumed to be a quick and direct route down off Kinder Low.
    Quote Originally Posted by PiesAreGood View Post
    He does know his way around the peak doesn't he.

Indeed that year I mentioned, shortly after climing Lawrence Edge, I saw Ian heading off on a line over Bleaklow all by himself and thought 'why not, lets see where Ian is going'. He threaded us along a really 'efficient' runnable line through a couple of groughs to join into Wildboar Clough near the top. I did compliment and thank Ian at the time - hope he heard me through the weather and my panting.

I do know my way around Bleaklow well, so I knew I wouldn't be lost if I lost track of my "guide" i.e. I wasn't just chasing after someone into unknown territory. I did know that every other time I had tried taking the line Ian was headed towards, rather than following the main trod around the edge it had taken me much longer though. It was a gamble and happily my bet on Ian paid off.
    LOL..thanks guys, when you spend most of your working life up there and many reccies with Nicky you get to know every twist and turn/ when it was Tankys I only ever had one bearing, if I needed the compass it was the same bearing..thick clag and snow,,,never needed the map I knew every inch of the route, it certainly helps having LK..

I find myself walking some of the routes now but what I wouldn't give for one last blast on a claggy race.

I'll be on route on the day, last time I was on top of bleaklow shouting get your compasses out....so many swirly routes on Strava

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    LOL..thanks guys, when you spend most of your working life up there and many reccies with Nicky you get to know every twist and turn/ when it was Tankys I only ever had one bearing, if I needed the compass it was the same bearing..thick clag and snow,,,never needed the map I knew every inch of the route, it certainly helps having LK..

I did Tanky's in 2009. The last year. Memorable!

I see a Mr Winterburn finished 6th out of 171 and everbody at the front end ran for Pennine/ Glossopdale or Dark Peak with only one from Ilkley Harriers. (But he was at the back end )
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 10-11-2021 at 08:39 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".