Page 42 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3240414243 LastLast

Thread: The Trigger

The beautiful sound of tumbleweed.
    There you have it folks: it seems that it doesn't matter if you take a shortcut on a fell race, even with explicit out of bounds areas. Nothing to see here.

(disclaimer. If someone takes exception to you, however, I'm sure that a rule will be found in order to exclude you from the race, even if others fall foul of the same rule and are ignored).

Perhaps you should email the organisers and bring it up with them... would be interesting to hear the outcome.

Feeling a little guilty as I poked this hornets nest to start with.

If the runners are happy with the published results then who am I to argue and causing the organisers grief was not my intention.

Having said that I do agree with Zephr, that in having out of bounds areas that are blatantly ignored and then not taking any action against offenders is surely a waste of everyone's time.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

This is probably quite a headache for the race organiser. I suspect the out of bounds areas are required by the landowner, so this ongoing debate won't help future requests (perhaps hence the tumbleweed you experienced Zephr). And now they might be in a quandary about whether to retrospectively punish people and what the threshold of infringement is. Also, do you only punish people whose Strava course you can see? That seems unfair to others who might also have gone the wrong way.

On a broader perspective, this demonstrates that if you have out of bounds areas, it would probably help to have stated punishments up front - perhaps something to consider for future events. Measures to ensure people go the right way at key points (e.g., extra marshals, taped sections) could also help. Although I don't know the practicalities of these in this instance, and I realise both of these add to the burden on the race organiser.

Quote Originally Posted by zephr View Post
    The beautiful sound of tumbleweed.
    There you have it folks: it seems that it doesn't matter if you take a shortcut on a fell race, even with explicit out of bounds areas. Nothing to see here.

(disclaimer. If someone takes exception to you, however, I'm sure that a rule will be found in order to exclude you from the race, even if others fall foul of the same rule and are ignored).
    I'm out with the RO doing some night Nav training tomorrow, I'll ask if he received it.

PS you don't need any rule to exclude some one from a race.
    Last edited by IanDarkpeak; 25-01-2022 at 11:19 PM.

new check point sorted any wandering to prevent erosion in OOB area, at least non that we know,

This as an extra bit from the RO

The total Woodhead Mountain Rescue Team will receive from Trigger 2023 is £5359.
    Many thanks to all who took part, made additional donations or purchased a piece of cake in the village hall. Also thanks the 55 people who cooked, stood on checkpoints or did vital administration helping make it happen on the day.

Well that was a tough day out.

A cold start in Marsden but by the time I had got up to Wessenden Head I thought I had overdone my clothing choice of a merino baselayer, two more baselayers and a windproof as I was over warm but fortunately there was a chilly breeze on top which continued throughout the day, making my choice perfect with no layers removed or added. Up and over Black Hill but on the descent into Crowden Little Brook I managed to find a bollock deep bog, but with only one leg, causing a tweak to somewhere between my groin and hamstring. It eased off on the descent to Crowden but starting giving me a bit of jip on the never ending path alongside Torside Reservoir.

Just before leaving Clough Edge for Shelf Moor I met the Spine Leaders coming in the opposite direction, all looking as fresh as daisies. My compass was out for the first time as the the clag descended on Higher Shelf Stones and I suddenly noticed that I was being followed by a couple of folk. Bang on to the TP as the clag briefly cleared and on to Snake Summit dodging dogs, chavs and walking poles of slower Spine walkers, some of whom didn't have them under full control.

Felt good crossing the Snake Pass but this came to an abrupt halt in around 600 metres as I slipped on the ice and landed on the slabs banging the side of my face. Stars seen and I felt sick for a few seconds. A couple ahead must have heard me go down and asked if I was OK, to which I obviously said "Yes". I could then taste blood and there was some dripping off my chin. I started walking and after composing myself thought that the sensible thing to do was to return to Snake Summit and retire. But no, on I went and then realised that I had gone too far on the slabs and missed my planned line to the Snake Path. I then decided to join runners I could see over to my left but got fed up with the heather so dropped into Withins Clough knowing it would bring me out in a decent spot below the climb up to the edge. By now I had got a banging headache, so more fannying around getting some paracetamol out of my bag, before the steep climb.

Once on the edge the compass was out again and another bang on hit to the TP. The Woodhead MRT staff at the TP asked if I was OK as they must have been able to see blood on my face. I assured them that I was and my headache had now gone. Onto the edge along from Sandy Heys and the Kinder Downfall appeared quicker than expected. Up the frozen river to my pre selected point and then compass time again to hit the clough that becomes Crowden Brook. Once out of the river bed there were people wandering in all directions in the mist with one lady running in totally the wrong way. I was concentrating on my bearing and then, as before, was aware of a few followers. I thought bugger this and as soon as I knew I was the south side of the plateau I dropped into a deep winding clough and never saw any of them again!

A left at Crowden Brook and a bit of a drag along the edge where my tired legs tripped me up and I took my second tumble, grazing my right knee and elbow. Straight back upon my feet and around the side of Grindslow Knoll before the welcome sight of Edale and steep descent to it, during which I noticed that a lace had become undone but I couldn't be arsed to stop and tie it so shuffled rather ungainly to the finish absolutely bollocksed.

I had not looked at my watch since the Snake Summit and had no idea of time so was chuffed to bits to have got under my 5 hr target time in 4hrs 56 min and 1st M60. The finish staff insisted I see the Woodhead MRT team doctor in the village hall, which I did, and he cleaned up two small cuts, one on the inside and the other on the outside of my lip which is now swollen and blue!

I also saw Joe Oldfield in the village hall and I was really pleased when I learned that he had broken the course record as he told me in the car on the way to Marsden that he was going for it. 3hrs 5min 21sec. An awesome effort.

A fantastic race expertly organised and run by Woodhead MRT and their supporters. Excellent food at the end.
    I'm aching all over today but still "buzzin", as the youngsters say. I was looking at my splits and between 7 of the 8 checkpoints, including start and finish and I was in positions from 64th to 81st but for the split where I had my tumble I was 125th so definitely lost some time there but nothing to be disappointed about.
    A great day out and the best part was, for the first time in a few years, using my compass in anger and nailing it!
    Last edited by Llani Boy; 15-01-2024 at 11:57 PM.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Master
    Well done Llani Boy - I was quite concerned for you reading that.

Rock hard Bob! well done.

Well done Llani, its a very challenging race!

I have been unfortunate to have to retire at Snake Pass in the past.