Page 5 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: The Trigger

Evening all. There are only 64 numbers left in the race and then it's reserve list time. I will post here the list of entrants I've had recently - apologies for any delay I've been away and organising another race…..

Have all the entries filled up now? I sent mine over 2 weeks ago so I'm curious to find out if I've made the list.
    Nothing is showing on here: http://www.marsdentoedale.co.uk/Entry%20list.htm

*fingers crossed*

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Skelton View Post
    Have all the entries filled up now? I sent mine over 2 weeks ago so I'm curious to find out if I've made the list.
    Nothing is showing on here: http://www.marsdentoedale.co.uk/Entry%20list.htm

*fingers crossed*

Tom
    Simon the RO is away at the moment but I'm sure you'll be in. we can take a few extra for reserves for the no shows

A few of us are coming down from Ambleside for this one. We are hoping to get down for a recce in Dec but after looking at the map I was wondering if the route just follows the Pennine Way from the first road crossing or whether there are any direct lines worth taking.

Quote Originally Posted by Dux de lux View Post
    A few of us are coming down from Ambleside for this one. We are hoping to get down for a recce in Dec but after looking at the map I was wondering if the route just follows the Pennine Way from the first road crossing or whether there are any direct lines worth taking.
    Three main ways from Crowden and many from the top of Kinder. You would do well to recce from Isle of Skye A635 crossing as the first bit is obvious, having said that you could probably get away with recceing from Crowden.

In my opinion the most important section to recce is from Kinder Downfall, across the plateau. There is no obvious line and it is definitely not wise to follow others here (not even Dark Peak-ers!)as everyone seems to take different lines with varying degrees of success.

following the Penine Way from Black Hill onwards is far from the optimum line (IMO) and you would have to make a detour to Higher Shelf trig. The direct lines from Crowden across Bleaklow to Snake summit are also well worth recce-ing if you have time.
    Do what you like, like what you do

To get an idea of route choices I'd recommend looking on the 'Route Builder' on Strava.com and turning on the Global Heatmap. This'll give you an indication of popular routes over Bleaklow & Kinder. This should give you a better idea of the bits to recce.
    http://app.strava.com/routes/new

Quote Originally Posted by fellgazelle View Post
    In my opinion the most important section to recce is from Kinder Downfall, across the plateau. There is no obvious line and it is definitely not wise to follow others here (not even Dark Peak-ers!)as everyone seems to take different lines with varying degrees of success.

following the Penine Way from Black Hill onwards is far from the optimum line (IMO) and you would have to make a detour to Higher Shelf trig. The direct lines from Crowden across Bleaklow to Snake summit are also well worth recce-ing if you have time.
    I know of a mutual friend that ended up at Fairbrook on the first Trigger. He did get lots of stick from Jules and the girls

Quote Originally Posted by Dux de lux View Post
    Don't think you will have too many problems on first leg as long as you are not leading and it's not foggy.
    from crowden though there are lots of choices dependent on a mix of things, Confidence, shortest, easiest to nav, weather. Simplist is to follow PW but even here there are route options. Most will head for the desolation of Smaug...sorry I mean Lawrence edge and by compass, grough, fence, clough,stream or a combination work out a route to Shelf moor, also conditions on the ground can make a route choice important, ice, deep snow, bog. so many options here.

As Ian says above it matters not if you don't know your way over kinder..

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    I know of a mutual friend that ended up at Fairbrook on the first Trigger. He did get lots of stick from Jules and the girls
    Haha, that's exactly the incident I had in mind. I remember spying the distinctive tea-cosy style hat bobbing off, over the skyline, way off towards Ashop edge, but alas they were too far away for me to shout them back.
    Do what you like, like what you do