Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Helvellyn Triathlon

Re: Helvellyn Triathlon

Thanks for the best wishes although no chance of me getting anywhere near the top 20. I'll be happy to get round but hope to get under 5 hours. I agree that Ben has a winning chance - saw him cooling down in the river after Borrowdale and he looks to be a phenomenal physical specimen. Having said that the way Marc Laithwaite scampered up Helvellyn on the Sunday of the recce you would definitely class him as fell runner.

Will touch base again before the big day.

Marc is an awesome all-round athlete - he did very well in one of the European Ironman events earlier in the season. I think it was Austria, which is very popular with 'the big boys'.
    Why walk when you can run.

undercover moderator

Quote Originally Posted by bvb View Post
    I'll be happy to get round but hope to get under 5 hours.
    Well I'll see you at the start rather than the finish then, as I suspect I'll be rather slower than that.

I have done the distance for each of the swimmy/bikey/runny bits now, but the idea of joining them all together is a bit daunting.

I think my training may have peaked too early (February), as I started carbo-loading in May and tapering in June. Added to this, I have (as is traditional for me at this time of year) twatted my ankle.

My aim on the swim is to get to the bike start as little worn-out and spluttery as I can.

Then, on the bike I'm aiming not to die on either side of Kirkstone pass (either exhaustion on the way up, or dry-stone-wall-rash on the way down).

Finally, I will be aiming to run down into the correct valley when I get to Helvellyn top (I'm blocking out how I'm going to actually get there).

And I'm going to have a paddle at the end. And an ice-cream if it's not dark.

Quote Originally Posted by theNoor View Post
    Marc is an awesome all-round athlete - he did very well in one of the European Ironman events earlier in the season. I think it was Austria, which is very popular with 'the big boys'.
    Yes, it was Austria.

Are you going to repeat your exploits of last year? Your posting after the event was one of the best I have read.

This time I plan not to do it on a mountain bike. I will also check the chain looks decent and not likely to snap.

Ironman Germany is on Channel 5 this coming Monday or Tuesday night or morning - 2am or something. I get confused by these times. Sorry thats crap accuracy.

The race notes have just been published, including the following...

this is a fell run it takes place under British Triathlon rules which requires all competitors to cover the same route (fell runners please note).

That's a shame. They want us to follow the zig-zags. I'd got a good descent line worked out too.
    Fitness can't be stored. It must be earned over and over, indefinitely.

undercover moderator

Interestingly, the race notes also say

Marshals will randomly check bags in transition prior to the race start, at the summit and at the finish. You must allow them to do this or you will be DQed. If you are checked on the route your number will be noted and time delay deducted.
    Actually, I quite fancy stopping for a rest at the top while some one checks my kit and stops the clock*.

How best should I portray myself as a numpty and ensure a kit-check at the trig-point? My opening line so far is "is this Scafell?".

*Oooh, that reminds me....

Hmmmm....

So where's the BTA rules on map, compass, and full body clothing???? Does Tim Don know about these rules?

Quote Originally Posted by Mud View Post
    Actually, I quite fancy stopping for a rest at the top while some one checks my kit and stops the clock.

How best should I portray myself as a numpty and ensure a kit-check at the trig-point? My opening line so far is "is this Scafell?".
    Great minds think alike. I'd seen that and was concidering doing the same.
    Fitness can't be stored. It must be earned over and over, indefinitely.

Quote Originally Posted by Mud View Post
    To the summit marshall on Helvellyn, "Oh, so I was meant to leave the bike in transition..."