Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: trail shoes advice please

trail shoes advice please

My last pair of New Balance MT110s are starting to go.

New ones don't look anything like the old ones and don't have great reviews.

Was looking at the following:

Asics Gel Fuji Racer 3
    Saucony Kinvara TR2
    Inov8 Trailroc 235/245

Any experience or advice welcome

Ta!
    If you're not running fast enough, walk instead!!

Been using TrailRoc's for some time now. I have a broad foot and they seem to be the only shoes that fit nicely. The tread is enough for the current weather conditions, but I move onto something more aggressive when the mud and snow arrives.

The 235's, for me anyway, were too thin on the sole and I felt absolutely every tiny stone, and not in a good way. I moved onto the 6mm drop 255's (last years Red and Black model) and they are the best Inov8's I've owned. I think the 235's have the 'precision' fit, being too narrow on the toe box for me.

Can't speak for any other brand, as I always buy Inov8, having previously used Salomon.

Thanks for that. Anyone tried the others? Would be useful to get some advice.

Master
    Mizuno wave Harriers are worth a try - very comfortable, plenty of space in the forefoot unlike some Inov-8s - their only down side is that their grip is not as good as Mudclaws. If it is relatively dry and the terrain not too steep the Mizunos are my first choice - and they are rather cheaper than Inov-8s.

The PureGrit 3 from Brooks is a great trail option. Similar in minimalism to the Kinvara Trail but with bigger lugs and a little more cushioning. I've been doing a lot of my mileage in a pair around the Peak for the last few months and have been really impressed. They're surprisingly comfy on tarmac too :-/
    There's always something like the Kanadia Tr from adidas too. Good tread, comfy, structured - bit of a work horse really.

Quote Originally Posted by silentrunner View Post
    My last pair of New Balance MT110s are starting to go.

New ones don't look anything like the old ones and don't have great reviews.

Was looking at the following:

Asics Gel Fuji Racer 3
    Saucony Kinvara TR2
    Inov8 Trailroc 235/245

Any experience or advice welcome

Ta!
    The problem with buying trail shoes is the balance between grip and cushioning, it's a difficult area to navigate. The best of both worlds i reckon is I8's Roclite 295, but it depends upon what sort of terrain you are running on. Roclites are sticky rubber so will wear out on abrasive trails.

I actually don't bother thinking about the trail shoe problem too much and just run in a Mudclaw. The studs are so big that they cushion well enough as it is and you've got the grip if you need it. The problem with having trail shoes is that you can also get caught out, like the time i did the Scafell Pike race in Roclites.

It's a minefield, i'd spend as little time and money as possible!
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

I have used Brooks Cascadia a lot in recent years. My knee is knackered so I am happy to put up with the average grip for the excellent cushioning and great mileage. I have picked up previous year's models at very reasonable prices. The cushioning in Mizunos and Kanadia is not good enough for me. As Mr B implies it is always a compromise between grip and cushioning and it depends what is important for you.

Master
    I use these http://www.irunfar.com/2013/05/new-b...le-review.html for everything, the longest continuous outing was 236 miles backpacking across Scotland in may this year, combined with Injini socks I had no blisters, hot spots in fact no problems what so ever I run ont he fells in them with no probs and have even run a road marathon in them.

For me they are the perfect all round shoe
    The older I get the Faster I was

I'm a fan of saucony peregrine for trails. pretty good all rounder, pretty light/minimal, 4mm drop, decent grip in most conditions, can take a bit of road

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    The best of both worlds i reckon is I8's Roclite 295s
    I'm with Luke on this. I've had Roclite 295s for five years or so and they are great trail shoes. But you can get caught out needing more grip at times, and I won't be replacing the pair that have almost worn out. I'll just be using my Mudclaws more.