Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cervical disc prolapse

Quote Originally Posted by Flopsy View Post
    Ha ha. I wish I could afford the operation privately. Just the MRI cost is more than I really want to spend. The surgeon said 2 months for an MRI and back in clinic in 3 months. I assume 3 months surgical waiting list. That means 6 months wait. So hoping to halve that by paying for MRI. Not sure I can though so left a message for the surgeon.
    I once paid for my own MRI scan. I was well advised by Martyn speight to shop around, as the prices vary a lot. I ended up having it at a local NHS hospital he recommended, but paying, which seemed an odd arrangement. It was a lot of money, but much less than it might have been. It was rather tiring, not the procedure itself, which was fine, but waiting for it to happen, as the machine kept over-heating and having to have a rest. I was the only patient who had come equipped for all eventualities, with food, drink etc. You also need to check they aren't going to play you some dreadful radio station to keep you amused while in the machine. I believe some hospitals let you bring in your own music. Good luck.
    Begin afresh, afresh, afresh.

Shopping around isn't an option Alexandra. The mobile scanner I originally had an MRI in was poor picture quality. The surgeon wants a decent scanner used this time so that he can get a clearer view of what's going on and a neuro radiologist doing it. So really my only option is to pay for it at the LGI. If I can't I'll have to wait. Still waiting to hear back from the surgeon about whether I can or not. His secretary said she'd chase him again tomorrow.

Thanks Wheeze. I had a rough night last night when the local dope wore off around the wound area, but already feeling better today... Might skip training though.... The surgeon put 2x DIAM implants in L4 L5 as well as above, so my kids tell me I am standing taller.... Appreciate the support everyone.

How you feeling now Harrier?

Good news! I've been chasing the neurosurgeon to see if I could pay to get the MRI done sooner, so that if I have to have surgery it can be sooner rather than later so I don't miss another summer. Just got an appointment letter for an MRI next week and it looks like an NHS appointment. Result!

Hi Flopsy. Well, best described as a mixed bag. On a bright note it seems I had great surgery and my sciatic pain is totally gone. I was up and about on light duties on Saturday .... Then started feeling unwell on Sunday and was admitted by ambulance through A&E on Monday feeling totally grim. Vomiting, sweats like a waterfall , unbelievable headache, violent dizziness. Couldn't move. Turns out I had a tear in my spinal nerve column through the surgery which caused cranio-spinal fluid to leak into the back, reducing pressure in the brain cavity hence all the symptoms above. Who knew,....?��. Have had further MRI and a spinal tap ( yes , really,) to confirm and just about to go for a small op to patch things up in 30 minutes.

Learning points: know the risks and factor these in to your planned recovery; also, don't think they're being soft when they tell you to rest up after.... Looking on the bright side, legs feel better than anytime in the last fifteen months. If you're getting acute sciatica get going on the surgical route and don't suffer longer than you have to. The time on the fells is too short!

Ouch! Tough luck getting a CSF leak!. They usually heal up OK though if given the chance. Good excuse to get horizontal with a pile of favourite novels!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Blimey Harrier. That sounds horrendous! Good luck with repair and keep us up to date. Glad the op seems to have been a success though.
    I don't have sciatica. As it's a neck disc it has different impact on me symptom wise. We'll see what the new MRI shows next week. The surgeon has definitely made me aware of the risks of surgery though.

Hi team, thanks for the support. Thanks also Flopsy for the PM check in. I ended up having three ops with a full reopen down to the spinal nerve to repair the CSF leak. Over 2weeks in hospital... At home recovering for some weeks now, though working of course... That's American companies for you! I should make a full recovery in due course, with some weeks off sport yet and then light PT to Christmas( define ?) . Running in January... I hope. No sciatica back so far .... My wife would kill me if I had in fact after all this....

Should have mentioned my CSF leak was epic... Enough to fill a 10mmx 15cmx10cm space in my back apparently. Which explains the crippling symptoms I Had, never had pain like it including a busted femur, ribs etc. the tear was over .5cm long, not a simple surgical needle stab which as you say Wheeze heals itself sometimes. They reckon I lost over half my CSF which caused cranial hypo-tension and minor bruising to the brain due to the loss of supporting fluid pressure. As well as residual dizziness and headache I am quite weak and have some memory loss: apparently that is normal and will recover. Nasty! Good luck with the neck Flopsy ... don't go where I have been!