I think I will get in before Tindersticks files his report. At first I was a little surprised to see him on the start line at Curbar; but then I realised, he has done Langdale before, but he probably hasn't done this one.

I used to pride myself on being able to keep running up slopes where most of the others are walking. But these days, I like races with plenty of places where I can walk without others running past me. My last race, Half Peris, certainly qualifies in this regard; Curbar certainly doesn't. Never mind, it is only slightly longer than my longest training run all this year.

Off from the start, and my legs were feeling confused. You see, I had done a warm-up: cycling over from Chesterfield. My legs thought they were being taken for a day's cycle ride, and it was at least half a mile into the race before they got used to the idea that they were now supposed to be running.

Onto the path through the woods below Froggatt Edge, and there was a lady with a Totley AC vest in front of me, going at a pace that seemed just right. I stayed just behind her, but then moved ahead as we started back along the top of the Edge.

Over the moors, and eventually past Wellington's monument. Was I going to meet my Waterloo? I nearly did as we descended on a narrow path across a steep, wooded slope, with a few tree roots and rocks to catch out the unwary: an ideal place for testing the elasticity of ankle ligaments. Fortunately I was sufficiently relaxed that my test turned out to be non-destructive, although my scream and little dance may have provided some amusement to the runners just behind me.

Down to Baslow, and then up again, where the village's name took on a new meaning: baSLOW. The lady in the Totley vest came past me. But I did eventually shuffle into the finish, in what has recently become my usual position: between half and two-thirds of the way down the results list.

The most frustrating thing was seeing the amazing array of cakes on offer, and just feeling too exhausted even to eat. I did manage to get a slice of banana loaf down me, but there is no way my digestive system could have coped with those chocolate cakes!