Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Curbar Commotion

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    I think I will get in before Tindersticks files his report. At first I was a little surprised to see him on the start line at Curbar; but then I realised, he has done Langdale before, but he probably hasn't done this one.

I used to pride myself on being able to keep running up slopes where most of the others are walking. But these days, I like races with plenty of places where I can walk without others running past me. My last race, Half Peris, certainly qualifies in this regard; Curbar certainly doesn't. Never mind, it is only slightly longer than my longest training run all this year.

Off from the start, and my legs were feeling confused. You see, I had done a warm-up: cycling over from Chesterfield. My legs thought they were being taken for a day's cycle ride, and it was at least half a mile into the race before they got used to the idea that they were now supposed to be running.

Onto the path through the woods below Froggatt Edge, and there was a lady with a Totley AC vest in front of me, going at a pace that seemed just right. I stayed just behind her, but then moved ahead as we started back along the top of the Edge.

Over the moors, and eventually past Wellington's monument. Was I going to meet my Waterloo? I nearly did as we descended on a narrow path across a steep, wooded slope, with a few tree roots and rocks to catch out the unwary: an ideal place for testing the elasticity of ankle ligaments. Fortunately I was sufficiently relaxed that my test turned out to be non-destructive, although my scream and little dance may have provided some amusement to the runners just behind me.

Down to Baslow, and then up again, where the village's name took on a new meaning: baSLOW. The lady in the Totley vest came past me. But I did eventually shuffle into the finish, in what has recently become my usual position: between half and two-thirds of the way down the results list.

The most frustrating thing was seeing the amazing array of cakes on offer, and just feeling too exhausted even to eat. I did manage to get a slice of banana loaf down me, but there is no way my digestive system could have coped with those chocolate cakes!
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Great write up Anthony, cheers pal you've saved me the trouble.

It did feel strange not doing Langdale, I normally do it every year, it's one of my favourite races.

However, needs must and Curbar needed ticking off....it's certainly a fast one.

Many thanks to all involved.

Great runable race and well organised. Fantastic cakes and REAL coffee.
    Are there any results out yet?
    Thank you.

It's going to be muddy isn't it? That climb up underneath Froggy edge looks potentially stodgy.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    It's going to be muddy isn't it? That climb up underneath Froggy edge looks potentially stodgy.
    Well I'd have to say it caught me out today. It's been much muddier in previous years. Being relatively local to this and considering how much rain we've had in this last week I was expecting it to be far wetter. Could have done with trail shoes.
    Do what you like, like what you do

Quote Originally Posted by fellgazelle View Post
    Well I'd have to say it caught me out today. It's been much muddier in previous years. Being relatively local to this and considering how much rain we've had in this last week I was expecting it to be far wetter. Could have done with trail shoes.
    I went in 300s, better safe than slippy. The wind really took time out of me, about 3mins I think, and I clobbered my left shoulder on the gate post latch as we turned into the wood on the way out. Hurts quite a bit today. I had planned to catch tindersticks by the bottom of the descent into Baslow, but the wind slowed me down badly. Legs quite sore on today's ride into the dales.

Perfect conditions yesterday for the 284 starters at this years edition of the Curbar Commotion. Those who have done it previously will no doubt tell you that it is a tougher run than the 10 miles and 1,400 feet suggest. This is because it is a very fast race and runnable throughout.

I ummed and aahed about shoe choice due to the varying terrain and opted for Scott RC trail shoes rather than a more knobbly fell shoe. A good decision as the boggy/wet bits were not too bad and I managed to stay on my feet in the muddy gully prior to the last couple of fields.

The race was won in a new record time of 1:04:11 by Jack Scott who is a member of the Inov8 stable. Chatting to him afterwards he told me that he is cutting the ribbon at the new Inov8 shop in Bakewell which opens in 2 weeks. There are also a couple of runs planned over the weekend. I think I'll nip down just in case there are some freebies to be had.

I had a good run at Curbar finishing in 1:19:05, 28th overall and 1st M60, a minute and a half quicker than my 2021 effort.

Great cakes to be had afterwards and over £3,000 raised for the local school.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    I think someone ought to politely inform Llani that you're supposed to get slower as you get older. [Yes, I know I was 5 minutes faster at Scafell Pike this year than last, but that was because my shoes fell apart at last year's race.]
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Don't worry, I'm definitely compensating for Llani and getting slower by the week!
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    Perfect conditions yesterday for the 284 starters at this years edition of the Curbar Commotion. Those who have done it previously will no doubt tell you that it is a tougher run than the 10 miles and 1,400 feet suggest. This is because it is a very fast race and runnable throughout.

I ummed and aahed about shoe choice due to the varying terrain and opted for Scott RC trail shoes rather than a more knobbly fell shoe. A good decision as the boggy/wet bits were not too bad and I managed to stay on my feet in the muddy gully prior to the last couple of fields.

The race was won in a new record time of 1:04:11 by Jack Scott who is a member of the Inov8 stable. Chatting to him afterwards he told me that he is cutting the ribbon at the new Inov8 shop in Bakewell which opens in 2 weeks. There are also a couple of runs planned over the weekend. I think I'll nip down just in case there are some freebies to be had.

I had a good run at Curbar finishing in 1:19:05, 28th overall and 1st M60, a minute and a half quicker than my 2021 effort.

Great cakes to be had afterwards and over £3,000 raised for the local school.
    Nearly a minute faster than my PB.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent