Thread: Training near Stoke

Smile Training near Stoke

Hi,

I am keen to take part in future FRA events and I am aware that in order to do so I need to meet the requirements. Reading some of the guidance I am aware that I also need navigational training,

Also to get more familiar what training routes around Stoke area would you suggest..?

Although I rate my fitness levels as medium to high I am a complete novice to fell running

Look forward to any advice you can provide.

Mike

Sent from my iPad

Medium to high compared to....? What distance are you shooting for?

Gritstone anytime challenge is a cracking run out. When I'm back in Stoke I try to get out over the Roaches and Hen Cloud. Nav is simple in that area. Also you are never far from a road which is good for starting out.

Quote Originally Posted by MStrike View Post
    Hi,

I am keen to take part in future FRA events and I am aware that in order to do so I need to meet the requirements. Reading some of the guidance I am aware that I also need navigational training,

Also to get more familiar what training routes around Stoke area would you suggest..?

Although I rate my fitness levels as medium to high I am a complete novice to fell running

Mike

Sent from my iPad
    hi if your after a running club that has enters a lot of fell races take a look at Staff Moorlands AC, very good club �� know a few of them go round the roaches etc

When in Stoke Trentham woods and Synnerton Old Park were about the best places I ran within running distance/10min drive.
    A bit further afield, roaches & hen cloud, or park above Buxton (Derbyshire Bridge) for Shining Tor and the Goyt Valley, or Wildboarclough for Shuttlingsloe/Cumberland clough.

As you say you're fairly fit, do you currently run for a local club in XC/Roads etc.? For Fell Staffs M are, as mentioned, the best locally, but I know people who drive up to Pennine (my club) from Congleton way. I currently run for Stoke AC for XC
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

When in Stoke Trentham woods and Synnerton Old Park were about the best places I ran within running distance/10min drive.
    A bit further afield, roaches & hen cloud, or park above Buxton (Derbyshire Bridge) for Shining Tor and the Goyt Valley, or Wildboarclough for Shuttlingsloe/Cumberland clough.

As you say you're fairly fit, do you currently run for a local club on XC/Roads etc.? For Fell Staffs Moorlands are, as mentioned, the best locally, but I know people who drive up to Pennine (my club) from Congleton way, or are members of Mercia. I currently run for Stoke AC for XC

I am sure you will be fine but don’t expect to do too well if you are judging your road running ability to the fells, the standard on the hill in general is higher. My road times would put me into the top 5% in a big city road race, but I struggle to get into the top quarter of a Hill race for example, when I started I struggled to get out the bottom half.
    Annan and District Athletic Club. http://www.adac.org.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by MStrike View Post
    Hi,

Mike

Sent from my iPad
    Hi Mike

Try get on one of the FRA Navigation courses. Details in the Fellrunner and on the website. That should give you a head start then practice.

If the dates don't work for you I run lots of courses. Give me a bell and I'll try and sort some thing out for you.

http://everythingoutdoors.co.uk/feat...rses-training/

Hi Mike,
    I found the area between Axe Edge Moor and Three Shires Head a good spot to find tune my nav skill. You are never too far from a main road and the hills aren't massive.
    From there you could head north it the Goyt Valley or south west towards the Roaches area.
    A very good route around that area is the 5 Trigs. It's about 20 miles but it a great day out even as a walk. There is a thread about that route on this forum.

Cheers
    Tim

Axe Edge/Shuttlingsloe/Shining Tor from Derbyshire Bridge is also a good long (but not as long as the 5 trigs Tim mentioned) route - if you can deal with the pendulum Cumberland Brook/Shuttlingsloe/Cumberland Brook without breaking you'll be fine on most decent fell races.