Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lakes 10 Peaks

Pete, I did long in 2015, short in 2016. OCT descent absolutely both times. It’s not that bad on the legs….. just take it steady. I don’t know of the exact route Rob/Josh took, but I saw a photo of them and they were still in Comb Gill quite close to Wythburn carpark which I don’t think is good and there was an accompanying comment which I think implied they had made a bit of a Horlicks of the descent nav.

I can send you my gpx plots from 2015/16 if you want. For the long I took the option to descend into Wasdale rather than go via corridor route (hated that on the short course…..had never done that section before and that route up Great Gable…. hmm, not fun). Plus, the scree descent into Wasdale is well worth it on the long.

I made a last minute decision to go from Honister to Keswick via Grange (low level). Mistake, as wasn’t able to run as much as I thought and would have been better going via Dalehead tarn.

On the long I couldn’t face the climb up Carl Side on the day (but had only previously reccied the descent), so went up/down the BG way. Probably cost me a lot of time, but it was my way of managing myself in the moment. Finished in a pretty slow 23:53…. but remarkably won 1st pair prize. Don’t think they have that category anymore…. after such shame was brought onto the event
    Totley AC

Quote Originally Posted by MarkClayton View Post
    Pete, I did long in 2015, short in 2016. OCT descent absolutely both times. It’s not that bad on the legs….. just take it steady. I don’t know of the exact route Rob/Josh took, but I saw a photo of them and they were still in Comb Gill quite close to Wythburn carpark which I don’t think is good and there was an accompanying comment which I think implied they had made a bit of a Horlicks of the descent nav.

I can send you my gpx plots from 2015/16 if you want. For the long I took the option to descend into Wasdale rather than go via corridor route (hated that on the short course…..had never done that section before and that route up Great Gable…. hmm, not fun). Plus, the scree descent into Wasdale is well worth it on the long.

I made a last minute decision to go from Honister to Keswick via Grange (low level). Mistake, as wasn’t able to run as much as I thought and would have been better going via Dalehead tarn.

On the long I couldn’t face the climb up Carl Side on the day (but had only previously reccied the descent), so went up/down the BG way. Probably cost me a lot of time, but it was my way of managing myself in the moment. Finished in a pretty slow 23:53…. but remarkably won 1st pair prize. Don’t think they have that category anymore…. after such shame was brought onto the event
    Thanks Mark for your thoughts... i recall seeing you last year at Honister as i was struggling through the Buttermere Horseshoe race on a warm day.

Yes i'd planned to rejoin the tourist path on the OCT descent at the point where the path comes back close to Comb Gill.

I'd already planned on going down into Wasdale. This year it is compulsory to to Pillar before Great Gable which makes it an even simpler decision. Unfortunately Wind Gap is totally out of bounds, so will have to do the out and back from Black Sail.

With regards Skiddaw, i'm going to recce an alternative route tomorrow afternoon. I'll keep it under my hat for now, as it may be a load of rubbish. In that case i'll grin and bear it and go up via Carl Side.

I did the Long a couple of years ago and most people took the oct descent, although there didn't all take the exactsa,e line!

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Thanks Mark for your thoughts... i recall seeing you last year at Honister as i was struggling through the Buttermere Horseshoe race on a warm day.
    Slight role reversal. I’m doing Buttermere…..but have switched to the short course, as don’t have enough hill fitness at the moment to sensibly tackle the full route. So no chance of seeing you again at Honister. Good luck and have a great day out. Forecast looks a bit windy/chilly on the tops.
    Totley AC

Yes i noticed the MWIS forecast was a bit chilly. Although probably preferable to the heat we've had this week!

Good luck at Buttermere. Certainly the full route is incredibly difficult. I was starting to feel the strain at Honister last year, and the second half was considerably harder, so possibly a wise decision to do the "short" course (which i believe is still an AL!!!)

Yes i noticed the MWIS forecast was a bit chilly. Although probably preferable to the heat we've had this week!

Good luck at Buttermere. Certainly the full route is incredibly difficult. I was starting to feel the strain at Honister last year, and the second half was considerably harder, so possibly a wise decision to do the "short" course (which i believe is still an AL!!!)
    Nearly the same stats as the OCT race. 31 miles and 10,400 feet. More like An A+L!

Incredibly hard day yesterday, toughest I've ever encountered and I probably reached my limit.

From Angle Tarn all the way over the Bowfell-Scafell section was zero visibility and many people seem to have got lost or missed checkpoints, allowing me to sneak up the field a bit.

Started to really suffer on the way up Black Sail pass and it didn't really go away. Although I made up 10 places on the hellish ascent of Skiddaw via Carlside, and the final descent into Keswick.

17hrs 37mins. Not the 16 hours I hoped for but I'm not disappointed. I could physically go no faster over the Scafelll section as it was so wet, slippy and dangerous. But really the main factor was the pain and fatigue I was in, really just gave it everything so I can't ask any more. I do know that I'm a good way off being up to a BG. Maybe in perfect conditions I'd have been on pace, but I can't see me keeping that up for an additional 8 hours anytime soon.

Stunned to finish 28th, which I think is more down to good navigation than being a better athlete than many who I beat.

Massive well done to Alan Lucker...!

Incredibly hard day yesterday, toughest I've ever encountered and I probably reached my limit.

From Angle Tarn all the way over the Bowfell-Scafell section was zero visibility and many people seem to have got lost or missed checkpoints, allowing me to sneak up the field a bit.

Started to really suffer on the way up Black Sail pass and it didn't really go away. Although I made up 10 places on the hellish ascent of Skiddaw via Carlside, and the final descent into Keswick.

17hrs 37mins. Not the 16 hours I hoped for but I'm not disappointed. I could physically go no faster over the Scafelll section as it was so wet, slippy and dangerous. But really the main factor was the pain and fatigue I was in, really just gave it everything so I can't ask any more. I do know that I'm a good way off being up to a BG. Maybe in perfect conditions I'd have been on pace, but I can't see me keeping that up for an additional 8 hours anytime soon.

Stunned to finish 28th, which I think is more down to good navigation than being a better athlete than many who I beat.

Massive well done to Alan Lucker...!
    Thanks Travs. It certainly wasn't an easy day on the Bowfell to Sca fell pike section. I'm rubbish on slippy rocks, so I definitely slowed down there. It was a lot easier when I recced it 2 weeks earlier in sunny conditions. I thought I might be capable of sub 7 1/2 hours. In better conditions I think I would have. I Struggled with ideal lines on the high plateau too. Also messed up the G Gable descent a bit in the thick fog.

Worth remembering that on a BG you won't be carrying a pack weighing 2 to 3kg (more when wet), plus less stress navigating. Well done you for toughing it out, I was really glad I didn't have to go up Carl Side to Skiddaw, and could just run to the finish!

Yes I would estimate the conditions put at least an hour onto times.

I did notice a few people descending back down from Great Gable to Beck Head. I messed up a bit getting down to Windy Gap but I then took the Borrowdale race descent rather than the recommended Moses Trod route, and made up some decent time there.

The Carlside ascent was an utter misery, and I had to wipe away a tear at one point, god knows why, just mental exhaustion and lack of sleep I guess. But I flew down Skiddaw markedly faster than a lot of people who finished ahead of me. If I could have just seen out my bad spell a bit quicker I could have finished well up. Happy with 28th though, I've just seen the official results and only 56 finished the long course, which with an entry list of 110 tells quite a story of the difficulty of the race...

Pete, well done indeed. That’s a great effort, especially with the challenging conditions. Sounds like you were right on the limit near the end!

Congratulations Alan with your short course victory and new course record. Fantastic stuff!
    Totley AC