Thread: Advice on half mara train

Advice on half mara train

Having just had a bairn I'm time limited so for the next year I've chosen to focus on half maratho distance races. I was after some feedback on a sample week of training. Currently run sub 40 10k and would like to improve speed at 5k and 10k as well.

Mon Bike commute 42k round trip. Club session around 16k of intervals.
    Tues Bike to work 21k. Run home 20km steady pace
    Wed 5k recovery run, core work
    Thursday 42k bike commute
    Friday 42k bike commute. 8 x 400m repeats or similar intervals
    Sat 12k tempo run. Core work
    Sun Rest

What do you think? Is it worthwhile doing cardio sessions on the bike? Maybe a HIIT session?

Chees, Matt

Quote Originally Posted by matthew View Post
    Having just had a bairn I'm time limited so for the next year I've chosen to focus on half maratho distance races. I was after some feedback on a sample week of training. Currently run sub 40 10k and would like to improve speed at 5k and 10k as well.

Mon Bike commute 42k round trip. Club session around 16k of intervals.
    Tues Bike to work 21k. Run home 20km steady pace
    Wed 5k recovery run, core work
    Thursday 42k bike commute
    Friday 42k bike commute. 8 x 400m repeats or similar intervals
    Sat 12k tempo run. Core work
    Sun Rest

What do you think? Is it worthwhile doing cardio sessions on the bike? Maybe a HIIT session?

Chees, Matt
    I'd back right off any HIIT… look how many sessions you have in a week? Just a path to injury...

I'd do longer steady runs. For a half marathon you should still have long runs of 14-16 miles to build that strength, absolutely key.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    I'd back right off any HIIT… look how many sessions you have in a week? Just a path to injury...

I'd do longer steady runs.
    Absolutely agree! and run more, bike less.

BTW I'm 20 years into parenthood and still don't have enough time to run as much as I'd like!
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post

I'd do longer steady runs. For a half marathon you should still have long runs of 14-16 miles to build that strength, absolutely key.
    I'll boost the Tuesday run by a few miles then. What pace should it be at (based on HR zones)? Also I'll steer clear HIIT work.

Unfortunately the bike is my main form of transport. We are a one car family and I don't like leaving the wife without the car.

I'll boost the Tuesday run by a few miles then. What pace should it be at (based on HR zones)? Also I'll steer clear HIIT work.

Unfortunately the bike is my main form of transport. We are a one car family and I don't like leaving the wife without the car.
    I don't think pace is crucial.. Hm pace + 60-90 seconds as a rough idea.. My marathon pace is 6 mm my half 5:40 and longer runs are in the 6:40-7:10 pace.. Depending how I feel ..

Cheers for the feedback Iain. I've been looking online at training plans (Hal Higdon and a SIS one). Both are under the "Advanced" section but there is a 50km week disparity in running between them in their high load weeks!
    Can you recommend any useful online sources for developing training plans? Particularly with regards peak mileage and then ensuing taper.

Cheers for the feedback Iain. I've been looking online at training plans (Hal Higdon and a SIS one). Both are under the "Advanced" section but there is a 50km week disparity in running between them in their high load weeks!
    Can you recommend any useful online sources for developing training plans? Particularly with regards peak mileage and then ensuing taper.
    I had a look at SIS.. I think its OK, I'd want more longer runs.
    But yeah also what is 'advanced'.. for some that's sub 1:30.. others sub 1:15:00 others sub 1:20..

I entered a race today when elite corral was sub 38 10k, 10,000's of runners..?.. That's decent club level in the UK..

For a standard taper I always use one a 2 time olympian showed me, 70% 40 % reduction in load over the final two weeks, not including the race, with a one last tempo session in the second week and the last week just lots of quackish running, one last quick rep session with a lot of rest, say 3 x 1 mile, I did 3 x 2km as my last session last week..