Page 1 of 40 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: "It's OK, He won't bite"

"It's OK, He won't bite"

Every now and again when I am out fell running, I encounter a dog which jumps at me (or worse). In my experience, these occasions tend to be accompanied by a range of observations by the dog owner. Here are some examples to get this thread going:
    1. "It's OK. He won't bite" [usually said as I'm staring at the dog's sharp teeth and wide open jaw...]
    2. "He's just a puppy" [most times, this is said about a huge dog such as an alsation chasing after me]
    3. "He's only playing" [ditto]
    4. "It's because you're running" [this is invariably offered as the explanation for why a dog is leaping all over me as if it is somehow my fault]

You get the idea. I am sure there are others ..........

Quote Originally Posted by Ilkley Swimmer View Post
    Every now and again when I am out fell running, I encounter a dog which jumps at me (or worse). In my experience, these occasions tend to be accompanied by a range of observations by the dog owner. Here are some examples to get this thread going:
    1. "It's OK. He won't bite" [usually said as I'm staring at the dog's sharp teeth and wide open jaw...]
    2. "He's just a puppy" [most times, this is said about a huge dog such as an alsation chasing after me]
    3. "He's only playing" [ditto]
    4. "It's because you're running" [this is invariably offered as the explanation for why a dog is leaping all over me as if it is somehow my fault]

You get the idea. I am sure there are others ..........
    I once got chased on to a wall, on Sconce Lane, by a Rotweiler. The owner eventually turned up & said "don't worry, he's friendly" !!!

5. "He's a big softy...DOWN, TYSON!" (Ravenscliffe Woods)
    "Get yourself together, Jones" - Ray Davies

6. "Leave!" - Doberman's jaws clamped to my arm in Lineker Woods Chesterfield
    No country for old men.

Tripped over by a dog at 19 miles on a 22 miler, they laughed, I didn't

Oooo dont get me started! All what you said i have heard. Worst was, two big dogs bearing teeth, growling in a deep throaty way, teeth being shown and circling me with no owner in sight. I actually froze still with arms folded and started sweating. I had no where to escape to. They were really wanting to eat me. Owner claimed they were harmless! I insisted he held them til i had left the area. He couldnt understand my fear! Also had a woman shout at me to STOP RUNNING cos i was scaring her dog and making it run mad. Yeah right, control yr dog either on or off the lead or its acting dangerously and we are within our rights to report them. And another time I got told to go run somewhere else if i didnt like dogs as the area was popular with dog walkers. Err no, control yr dog lady! We were all on open access land.

I was running along a towpath when I noticed two large wolfhounds approaching me from the opposite direction.
    I had no way of avoiding the beasts and their equally formidable female owner.

She shouted out loudly "Sit Down" with a voice that could not be disobeyed.
    I promptly sat down on the canal bank with the two very obedient dogs sitting on their haunches by my side.

The lady collapsed in a fit of laughter and I was no longer on the dogs' dinner menu that day.
    Fox Avatar "Protected" by Hester Cox - Printmaker

Super Moderator
    Zero tolerance is my watch-word. If you have an issue then snarling, growling, biting, kicking, punching and grabbing hold of their balls are all fine and if that doesn't work on the owner, set about the dog. Well behaved owners are fine but why the hell should the public have to be afraid of badly controlled dogs and their owners
    Poacher turned game-keeper

I've had a large dog with both paws on my chest and the owner saying he is a big softy. Whilst walking to work last year a dog was snarling at me and totally ignoring it's owner. It was that agressive that I said unless the dog backs off I will defend myself, at which point the owner then threatens me!
    99.9% of dog owners call their dog to heel, even the most dopey looking mutts and I always make a point of thanking them.

"He's never done that before"....