Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: "It's OK, He won't bite"

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    Oh no Not this hoary old chestnut again no wonder the forum is failing to attract fresh contributors.
    Blimey! I've never had a dog owner say this to me. Well, not until now...

Anyway, thanks to others for their light-hearted responses and their funny quotes/anecdotes.
    Another one from me:-
    "He's really gentle with kids" (Ilkley Tarn, just after a black labrador jumped up at one of my kids knocking him flying)
    Last edited by Ilkley Swimmer; 19-10-2014 at 12:05 AM.

Super Moderator
    So we run in torn off snorkel parka sleeves with a black-belt tight-head prop and look forward to our daily 10 second buzz. The buzz that comes from the fear of being eaten alive?

In more practical terms what is the best thing to do when a dangerous dog which is more keen on dripping out your throat than "standing over there by the cairn while I get my camera out" attacks? When a bum-bag full of Scoobie snacks isn't going to save you from plastic surgery

And more to the point why do we have to run in fear (literally) because some coward / half-wit / hermaphrodite thinks having a killer on a string is socially accectable?
    Poacher turned game-keeper

The chestnut remains, because the problem remains.
    pies

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by shaunaneto View Post
    The chestnut remains, because the problem remains.
    s the problem people or dogs ?
    The older I get the Faster I was

Almost always people. More often than not the owners.

Although I can think of 3 occasions where it was the dogs problem, once in the Black Mountains, twice just outside Salamanca.

In those instances, no dog owners.
    pies

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    Is the problem people or dogs ?
    Is this another entry for a dog owner comment?

I suppose the answer to the question is this:- If you think of some of the situations runners have described, if you are sitting on a wall with a Rotweiler snarling below you or if you find yourself standing frozen before a growling threatening dog and the owner then appears and tells you the dog is just being "friendly" and is "harmless" isn't the "problem" both the dog and the owner?

Quote Originally Posted by Ilkley Swimmer View Post
    Is this another entry for a dog owner comment?

I suppose the answer to the question is this:- If you think of some of the situations runners have described, if you are sitting on a wall with a Rotweiler snarling below you or if you find yourself standing frozen before a growling threatening dog and the owner then appears and tells you the dog is just being "friendly" and is "harmless" isn't the "problem" both the dog and the owner?
    The trouble with this subject is that it attracts one or two 'dogist' members of the forum and their anti-dogism creates a picture that is vastly disproportionate to the problem, if indeed a problem exists. I run in the hills pretty much every day, largely in the Yorkshire Dales where I live or the Lake District just down the road, and I have never, ever, ever had a problem with a pet dog or a pet dog owner during my run outs. Not even once. I'll admit that I have had a couple of scary moments with farm dogs but, on both occasions, that was in the hills of West Yorkshire and much nearer to bigger urban conurbations. A massive generalisation I know (but hey you lot have been generalising about dogs and their owners) but the people that seem to have the most problems with dogs a) don't like dogs, b) live in towns or cities and c) perhaps come across more 'n'ere do wells' walking their pit-bulls

I run with my border collie Harry 99% of the time, day in day out, and nothing that I have ever done or achieved while fell running (a fair smattering of fell races, ultra's and even the Bob Graham) can beat the simple joy of running in the hills with Harry. To me its what fell running is primarily all about. And yes Harry does run up to people he meets, smiling and wagging his tail to say hello, and yes 'he is friendly so people don't have to worry' and 'it is okay and he won't bite!'
    Last edited by Stolly; 19-10-2014 at 05:11 PM.

Dunno about that Stolly, that Harry has the look of evil about him I reckon.
    pies

I really do like dogs, just not the ones that aren't controlled by their owners.

Haha, me and the "evil" Harry