Thread: Routes around Hawes

Routes around Hawes

Going up to Hawes next weekend, any recommendations for good running routes up to 5 hours?

Having spent most of the summer in a tent at Hawes, I had a good chance to explore, although out of action for running due to injury.

You might want to try the Sleddale Horseshoe. Go up Wether Fell/ Drumaldrace (either from directly from Gayle or via Burtersett) until you hit the Cam High Road (Roman Road) and follow this (right - south west) out to Kidhow Gate. Return via Dodd Fell and Ten End. The Pennine Way descent off Rottenstone Hill is better running than the Cam Road track, which has a lot of loose stone (as I discovered when I tried to MTB down it).
    "Get yourself together, Jones" - Ray Davies

thackley,near canal/river and old emmerdale
    i followed the track up from burtersetover wether fell,along cam high rd,then picked up the path into marsett,stalling busk,swam semer water,then countersett to hawes end,picked up cam high rd and retraced my steps back down.
    i was staying at bainbridge ings so worked out just right.
    it was the a hot day hence swim.

The Cam High Road is rock hard, so beware of that. Not my local area this, but i'd take the PW over Great Shunner into Swaledale. There is a good loop around Kisdon Hill from Muker which sets off beside the Swale, the Limestone features around Keld are good. From Keld there is a Miner's track over the hill which brings you back to the PW near Doctor Wood.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Thanks for the info, will get the maps out this evening and consider the options.

Really good weekend up in the dales last weekend. Managed most of routes recommended, thanks:
    Friday quick run from Gayle up Cam road to Ten End back down PW ~5miles.
    Saturday, from YH-Gayle-Wether fell- over Cam High Rd (take your point re hardness of surface), Marsett- Stalling Busk-Semer water-Bainbridge-dismantled railway to cross river at bridleway to A684 (interesting swollen river crossing!)back via Burtersett and Gayle ~14mile.
    Sunday, YH to Great Shunner fell via Hardraw, out and back route 13miles.

Went around the back of Hawes ,through Gayle and then the footpath through the fields to Hardraw and then Pennine Way to Great Shunner fell and return . 15 mile
    Quote Originally Posted by Running Man View Post
    Really good weekend up in the dales last weekend. Managed most of routes recommended, thanks:
    Friday quick run from Gayle up Cam road to Ten End back down PW ~5miles.
    Saturday, from YH-Gayle-Wether fell- over Cam High Rd (take your point re hardness of surface), Marsett- Stalling Busk-Semer water-Bainbridge-dismantled railway to cross river at bridleway to A684 (interesting swollen river crossing!)back via Burtersett and Gayle ~14mile.
    Sunday, YH to Great Shunner fell via Hardraw, out and back route 13miles.

thackley,near canal/river and old emmerdale
    thats where the wensleydale tri run route goes