Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: running after hip replace

running after hip replace

Wondered if anyone had any experience of resuming running after total hip replacement. This was the full job not the smaller Birmingham hip op. Have to say surgeon advises against any running but acknowledges people do. Any advice experience great fully received

Super Moderator
    Neil, I have no advice but welcome to the forum and good luck!
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Neil - see your PM - it might put you in touch with someone.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Sorry for ignorance.what's a PM

Look at the top of the screen and you see "Notifications".

Check your inbox - it's a way of forumites sending a message that they prefer not to publish.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

That's great. Thanks very much.will follow it up

Hi. I'm Creakys wife and had a total hip replacement last January. I was told no running but I have. I did a lot of walking from the beginning, building up slowly, then started cycling about 30-40 mins 3 times a week. 22 weeks after op I had a short jog for 9 mins and very slowly built up from there. 4 weeks later I managed 28 mins. During this time I was doing a 'warm up' cycle of 25 mins.By the end of August I had started competing again and set a target of a 10k at end of September.This was achieved and I went on to beat some people I hadn't beaten for years because of the hip problemsUnfortunately, I have had to have major surgery last week (nothing to do with hip) so it's back to square 1 for me.
    All I can say is don't push it, don't try to start too early and listen to your body!!! Good luck and keep us posted.

That's great news. Your the first "total" I've found. Was your surgeon supportive? My hip is ceramic head with titanium post but not cemented in so just held by bone growth. Does it all feel normal to you now?

The surgeon was not supportive about running at all! You have the same implant as me and it feels fine. Still have a little stiffness at times when putting on shoes and socks but that could be my own fault. I should have tried some physio myself as none was offered - deemed unnecessary.

Thanks again creaky's wife. Hope at last. Seeing surgeon on Thurs prob for discharge. Hope your feeling better from your recent op